It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:28 pm

Discord Server

Discussions about the documentation, main Rainmeter site and forums.
shAdowz

Discord Server

Post by shAdowz »

Sorry if this is not in the right thread.

It's been a while since I posted here.

Anyways, recently I have joined a Discord server and I've discovered that in Discord, you can have a very manageable server.
To the mods/admins/heads (I hope you come across this post.), is it possible to have a Discord server for our community? Like a Rainmeter Discord Server?

I think there's lot's of potential for our community if we had one. :thumbup:
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Discord Server

Post by jsmorley »

Uhm. Like this?

https://discordapp.com/channels/148103787259756544/148103787259756544

I'm not a big fan myself, as those channels are a bit less "serious" than I find helpful, and a better name might be Discordant in my view, but to each his own. I guess my issue with it is that there seems to be no organization into "threads" where a useful discussion on a single topic can take place. While there are channel topics, which allow for some structure, I see no way that doesn't just hurt my head to follow a single conversation about something. So it is just a firehose of unstructured random "social media" blather, which I can live without...
NighthawkSLO

Post by NighthawkSLO »

I'm the creator of the discord server and myself and many others prefer it to the irc channel, mainly because of the ability to look through history and a nicer looking client. Currently the server is set up more or less as a "firehose of unstructured random 'social media' blather" because it's mostly ~20 regulars who can't discuss rainmeter 24/7 so we talk and have channels for other stuff. Discussion with the developers is incredibly useful, that's why I will change the structure of the server and make it more serious if you decide to switch, just tell me how you want it structured.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

NighthawkSLO wrote:I'm the creator of the discord server and myself and many others prefer it to the irc channel, mainly because of the ability to look through history and a nicer looking client. Currently the server is set up more or less as a "firehose of unstructured random 'social media' blather" because it's mostly ~20 regulars who can't discuss rainmeter 24/7 so we talk and have channels for other stuff. Discussion with the developers is incredibly useful, that's why I will change the structure of the server and make it more serious if you decide to switch, just tell me how you want it structured.
Nothing at all wrong with it, there is a place for a "firehose of unstructured random 'social media' blather", and if you have a community of folks coming together in real-time, you would want and expect quite a bit of "getting to know you" and other general conversations.

Just not my cup of tea however. I can't do 24/7 of the firehose, and to be honest I pretty much hate people anyway... ;-)

Several of us developers just stay on IRC 24/7. We mostly use it to discuss development issues, with from time to time someone coming on who has a question about doing something in Rainmeter, which we try our best to answer. Any questions like "What the best Kenshin Himura skin out there?" or "How to I add icons to the Honeycomb widget?" or "Here is an image of my current desktop, what should I add to make it better?" we just ignore until the person goes away.

For more detailed help, we always point people to these forums, where they can post their issue, code they are working with, links, images, etc. and anyone in the community can weigh in with help as and when they have time. It is very "structured", in the sense that there is a "thread" that is about that single discussion. That makes it all very easy to follow, and creates a good permanent reference for future people who have the same issue. I can't imagine at all trying to be helpful in an environment that doesn't have topics and threads.

We find IRC very useful for real-time collaboration between developers, and we are happy to help folks with quick Rainmeter questions or problems. You want a friend who is fascinated by everything you say? Get a dog.

I'm not suggesting you change a thing. A community like that will be self-governing, and if folks enjoy the way it works, good deal. I don't mind jumping on from time to time to see what is going on, but that isn't somewhere I can have open on a second monitor 24/7 like I do IRC. Same reason I don't do Twitter or Facebook. I'm a curmudgeon, and get off my lawn...
tjhrulz
Developer

Post by tjhrulz »

While it probably won't change your mind we could do things like set up a channel for just the developers and approved people which may be nicer for you when doing development work since you don't have to worry about being online and having logging turned on so that you know what someone said. And with more people to help others in the discord that is less you have to help with unless you want to.

Also I don't think Nighthawk wants to replace the forums, just the irc.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

tjhrulz wrote:While it probably won't change your mind we could do things like set up a channel for just the developers and approved people which may be nicer for you when doing development work since you don't have to worry about being online and having logging turned on so that you know what someone said. And with more people to help others in the discord that is less you have to help with unless you want to.

Also I don't think Nighthawk wants to replace the forums, just the irc.
Thanks, but it's not our intention to segregate ourselves off in some private area. Everything we say in IRC is public, and anyone who has an opinion or idea is welcome to weigh in. Every single person who is a "developer" now was just a user with an idea at some point. I pretty much hate people, until and unless they give me a reason not to hate them. That happens more often than you might think.

As I said, I just stay connected to IRC 24/7, with it running in a little window on a second monitor. it blinks at me if someone directly asks "me" a question or has a comment, and other than that I can just glance at it from time to time to see if someone has a question I don't feel like ignoring...

Our IRC isn't very busy, as I grant that it is old technology and not someplace most folks want to just "hang out". People jump on, ask a question, get an answer, and jump off. For most things, the forums are a better bet. You are almost certain to get a helpful answer, even if not "real-time".
Bekarfel

Post by Bekarfel »

I'd agree with jsmorley on this. I'm not a developer, or have any more influence than other regular people here, but I wouldn't stay around a place that wasn't focused on the topic. Having a firehose of memes and lulz and ERMAHGERD LEL YUK YUK JOKES (pretty much exactly what "Social Media" means to me) just doesn't interest me.
moshi wrote:there are many Rainmeter skins that aren't really useful, so let's add another one.
jsmorley wrote:I have good news and bad news.
First the bad news. [...] We would be happy to have this happen and would love to work with anyone who is feeling ambitious.
Now the good news.
I lied, there isn't any good news...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Bekarfel wrote:I'd agree with jsmorley on this. I'm not a developer, or have any more influence than other regular people here, but I wouldn't stay around a place that wasn't focused on the topic. Having a firehose of memes and lulz and ERMAHGERD LEL YUK YUK JOKES (pretty much exactly what "Social Media" means to me) just doesn't interest me.
I do like LOLCats. Can we just do that?
bimaloy30

Post by bimaloy30 »

Greetings and salutations. I discovered this new tool and have been testing it with several different configurations.
One thing I noticed is that the servers that are created by an individual are not unique across the system. The instant invites appear to be unique to the servers that they are created on, however, any number of individuals can have the exact same name for a server. Notepad++ Malwarebytes FileZilla
Normally, this should pose no issue due to the invite code system, however, if multiple people in a "guild" create a server with the same name, there is a possiblity of segregation.
Reading the informational documents and various interviews, it appears that the server creations are virtually hosted on "cloud" servers (heh, always loved the term) and dynamically created and started whenever an owner logs into the system.
Also, the username system does not ensure uniqueness and individuality.
Last edited by bimaloy30 on September 27th, 2018, 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

I'm pretty sure Jon has managed to get the discord.gg/rainmeter invite link (and a nice hoodie) for his server, so now there should be only one main hub. Multiple people creating a server with the same name shouldn't be a problem since there is no official server browser (thanks god).
The Discord Server is now linked on the subreddit, on the official Home Page of Rainmeter (though it's presented as unofficial, which I can get behind, no need for a paragraph to explain why) and people can find it by typing discord.gg/<word> (I found the official fortnite server this way, cursed server)
Discord's servers (or guilds as you reffer to them, which is the same way they are reffered on the Discord dev wiki) are hosted on Google's Cloud Platform which imo is a curse more than a blessing

There is no official/unofficial/semi-official Slack server though which... I think would be great for the devs, since it's not as horrible of a social media as Discord's Gaming-Centric one. It's professional with mostly serious people (so no s=!+posting like the entierty of every Discord server ever), it has official bots that for example can send message everytime a reposetory is gitted (on the same note, why aren't alpha builds on github?), usefull commands like /remind (a godblessing imo), voicecalling(!) and is not stuck in the design of the 2000s like most irc clients I've searched online.
Now that I think of it, you can do some of the things on irc as well, but setting up bots yourself sounds like a pain in the buttocks for me.
Last edited by Jeff on September 27th, 2018, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.