It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:06 pm

RainRegExp - Rainmeter Regular Expression tester

Plugins and Addons popular with the Community
C3R3BrO

Re: RainRegExp - Rainmeter Regular Expression tester

Post by C3R3BrO »

Yes... and all are green... but still Rain regexp still shows unable to connect... :(
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

C3R3BrO wrote:Yes... and all are green... but still Rain regexp still shows unable to connect... :(
Well, I'm not sure then. I can use RainRegExp and get to that site just fine, so there isn't anything about RainRegExp or Rainmeter that is incompatible with the site, but there is some reason why YOUR installation of Internet Explorer can't get to it. Either your ISP, firewall, or router is blocking access to it, or the site is blocking access to your IP.

Try going to the site in Internet Explorer, what do you get in that browser?
C3R3BrO

Post by C3R3BrO »

Yes, tried that also.. All lights are green... and still the Rain Regexp doesn't collect.. :(
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

C3R3BrO wrote:Yes, tried that also.. All lights are green... and still the Rain Regexp doesn't collect.. :(
That isn't even responsive to my question. I asked if you can get to that link in Internet Explorer. Nothing to do with any lights turning green.

If you can get to that link OK in Internet Explorer, then the only logical answer left is that your firewall is blocking RainRegExp.exe from connecting to the internet.
C3R3BrO

Post by C3R3BrO »

jsmorley wrote: That isn't even responsive to my question. I asked if you can get to that link in Internet Explorer. Nothing to do with any lights turning green.

If you can get to that link OK in Internet Explorer, then the only logical answer left is that your firewall is blocking RainRegExp.exe from connecting to the internet.
Sorry.. New to forum didn't see post, so posted it twice.. SORRY

Yeah.. i can get to that link from IE10.. I also have added an exception of RainRegExp.exe to firewall.. but no luck..

Untill i ran the program as administrator... It then worked.. For now its OK.. :thumbup: :great:
moshi

Post by moshi »

C3R3BrO wrote:I have got a problem..
when i insert a url and press the connect button it shows connection error unable to connect to website... even though my skin is actually getting the rss from the same website...

i can confirm this. i recently got a new computer with Windows 8.1 pre-installed, and this happens to me as well.
running it as administrator solves this, bad part is that i get an UAC prompt then.

i guess this happens because of writing WebSiteSource.txt to disk.

i was able to solve this by putting the RainRegExp folder into %APPDATA%.
doesn't need to run as administrator then as well.

maybe an installer instead of just the binaries would be nice, as more and more people will use Windows 8.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

This is an issue you are going to have with putting RainRegExp in Program Files or Program Files (x86) as yeah, Windows just won't allow any application to write to Program Files unless it is run as Administrator, and if you do, it will trigger a UAC prompt each time it is run.

Just as WebParser does, RainRegExp downloads the site HTML to a local file for parsing. I currently have it just writing to the same folder as RainRegExp.exe.

I guess I never really ran into this as I have always run it from the Addons folder in APPDATA\Roaming\Rainmeter.

I suppose I could change the program to write to Windows TEMP. That may well correct the issue. An "installer" isn't really the answer, and I prefer the "portable" nature of it anyway.

I'll work on that today.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Ok, I changed it to use Windows TEMP for output, see if that corrects the issue for you. I suspect it will.

I also corrected a long-standing bug with the "Search" field / button where the text you search for was not highlighted as it should have been. Also added a tiny "beep" when a search is not found.

Get RainRegExp.zip from the link here:

http://docs.rainmeter.net/tips/webparser-debugging-regexp#RainRegExp
moshi

Post by moshi »

:thumbup:
moshi

Post by moshi »

just noted: the help section of the app says:
Here are a few common ones you will find useful
\l ==> matches any alphabet character (a-z and A-Z)
\l does not work with Rainmeter.
WebParser: RegExp error at offset 10: PCRE does not support \L, \l, \N{name}, \U, or \u (SphynxKicker\regular.ini - [MeasureLeague])
maybe this part of the help section should be removed as it is misleading. on the other hand nobody ever reported this in all these years.