It is currently April 18th, 2024, 10:22 am

RainLexer 2.20.0 (syntax highlighter for Notepad++)

Plugins and Addons popular with the Community
jsmorley
Developer

Re: RainLexer 2.2.0 (syntax highlighter for Notepad++)

Post by jsmorley »

Ok, it's all changed again...

Please get and install the latest 32bit or 64bit version 7.6.1 of Notepad++ from https://notepad-plus-plus.org/.
This version or later is required for RainLexer 2.2.0.

Then get the latest 2.2.0 version of RainLexer from the first post of this thread.

So they have once again moved the location where 3rd-party plugins are stored in Notepad++. They are now stored in:

%PROGRAMDATA%\Notepad++\plugins\PluginName\
This is generally C:\ProgramData or what is also known as %ALLUSERSPROFILE%.

The thinking here is that you are almost certainly going to want plugins installed for all user accounts on your system that use Notepad++. Other settings and customizations to either the plugins or Notepad++ in general will be stored in the %APPDATA% folder for each user account, as always.

The installer for RainLexer will remove any old, unneeded versions of the plugin from old locations.

This rollout of how plugins are managed in Notepad++ is not their finest hour. Not well tested, no backwards compatibility, no notice given to plugin authors, didn't measure twice and cut once. Hopefully things have settled down to a permanent state now.

eclectic-tech, this is going to impact your Snippets thing as well. Fortunately they will simply have to re-install the Snippets plugin from the Plugin Manager functionality in Notepad++, and all will be well. The sql database with your Rainmeter snippets will remain where it is and no change needs to be made. If they want to be anal-retentive (I would), they can simply remove the entire %LOCALAPPDATA%\Notepad++ folder, as Notepad++ no longer uses that ..AppData\Local structure at all, which by the way, it never should have used. Plugins are all in ..ProgramData, and settings are all in ..AppData\Roaming.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: RainLexer 2.3.0 (syntax highlighter for Notepad++)

Post by jsmorley »

Ok, it's all changed YET again...

Please get and install the latest 32bit or 64bit version 7.6.3 of Notepad++ from https://notepad-plus-plus.org/.
This version or later is required for RainLexer 2.3.0.

Then get the latest 2.3.0 version of RainLexer from the first post of this thread.

So they have once again moved the location where 3rd-party plugins are stored in Notepad++. They are now stored in:

%PROGRAMFILES(X86)%\Notepad++\plugins\PluginName\ (32bit)
%PROGRAMFILES%\Notepad++\plugins\PluginName\ (64bit)

The config files for the plugins remain in %APPDATA%\Notepad++\plugins\config

This rollout of how plugins are managed in Notepad++ is not their finest hour. Not well tested, no backwards compatibility, no notice given to plugin authors, didn't measure twice and cut once. Once again, we can hope that things have settled down to a permanent state now.
Axinoe

Post by Axinoe »

I updated Notepad++ (I don't remember which version specifically, but it was above or equal to 7.6.3) to 7.7, and RainLexer (version 2.3.0) stopped working. Installing Notepad++ 7.6.3 fixes the issue. Is there any solution?
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Axinoe wrote: May 27th, 2019, 12:43 am I updated Notepad++ (I don't remember which version specifically, but it was above or equal to 7.6.3) to 7.7, and RainLexer (version 2.3.0) stopped working. Installing Notepad++ 7.6.3 fixes the issue. Is there any solution?
Working here after updating to NP++ 7.7
np77rlxr23.png
I would suggest updating to NP++ v7.7, open Plugin Admin... in NP++ and remove Rainlexer2.3.
Then download Rainlexer from here and reinstall.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Axinoe

Post by Axinoe »

eclectic-tech wrote: May 27th, 2019, 1:31 am Working here after updating to NP++ 7.7np77rlxr23.png
I would suggest updating to NP++ v7.7, open Plugin Admin... in NP++ and remove Rainlexer2.3.
Then download Rainlexer from here and reinstall.
I already attempted removing and reinstalling RainLexer on NP++ 7.7, I still end up with the crashing.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

I can't duplicate the issue, so if someone else has the same issue, perhaps then they can help.

I would suggest to use V7.6 until someone else experiences the same issue. There are not any major differences between the versions.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Welp, problem confirmed here....
I updated Notepad++ from 7.6.6 to v7.7. RainLexer 2.3 instantly crashes NP++ whenever an .ini or .inc file is opened. NP++ works fine otherwise.

Eclectic-tech: One difference I noticed from your screenshot is that you have the 64-bit version of Notepad++ installed. I'm using the 32-bit flavor. Does bitness matter?
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
CyberTheWorm

Post by CyberTheWorm »

After updating to 7.7 I can open the program but not edit skin from rainmeter, it crashes Notepad++ so something going on, will test more.

Uninstalled x86 version, installed 64 bit version and reinstalled rainlexer, works fine
The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
Deviant Art Page
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

SilverAzide wrote: May 28th, 2019, 4:31 pm Welp, problem confirmed here....
I updated Notepad++ from 7.6.6 to v7.7. RainLexer 2.3 instantly crashes NP++ whenever an .ini or .inc file is opened. NP++ works fine otherwise.

Eclectic-tech: One difference I noticed from your screenshot is that you have the 64-bit version of Notepad++ installed. I'm using the 32-bit flavor. Does bitness matter?
Apparently the "bitness" does matter... Thanks NP++ for another mess to try to figure out!

I am sure the Rainlexer "god" will find the answer... eventually. :Whistle
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yes, it seems that the 32bit version of Notepad++ is broken with RainLexer. I'm not sure how we can even approach this, as it just crashes with no error of any kind when you open a .ini file with RainLexer enabled in 7.7 32bit. I'm going to install the 64bit version of Notepad++ and live with this for now, while I chew on this...