It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:34 am

Message Passing Plugin - Works with Wallpaper Engine

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
tjhrulz
Developer

Message Passing Plugin - Works with Wallpaper Engine

Post by tjhrulz »

So I just finished up my latest plugin for Rainmeter, Message Passing. The goal of this plugin is primarily to allow for back and forth communication with Wallpaper Engine but I named it more broadly since it could be used for other things.

It has full support for multiple websocket addresses and multiple connections on each address. You can run commands on websocket Open, Close, and Message (Can even use dynamic variables). Get clients connected to each measure from its decimal value.

The options for the Measure are:
Name - Name of the service to run, adds / to the beginning if you do not.
I recommend using unique names if you only want your info. So a name of tjMusicInfo would get a url of ws://127.0.0.1:58932/tjMusicInfo in the program you are communicating to

Port - Port to use, is ignored right now and is always 58932

OnOpen - A rainmeter bang to execute when connection is first made
Note: Will not fire if connection already existed and was opened when your websocket is created

OnClose - A rainmeter bang to execute on connection being closed Note: Only fires with the connection is closed, does not fire if it never opens

OnMessage - A rainmeter bang to execute whenever a message is received with your service name
Note: Add $Message$ to the command to have it be replaced with the message contents

You can always find the latest release and keep up to date with the plugin here: https://github.com/tjhrulz/MessagePassingForRainmeter
Attachments
MessagePassing_0.5.1.rmskin
(203.79 KiB) Downloaded 172 times
Last edited by tjhrulz on June 11th, 2017, 12:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
mcpaton

Re: Message Passing Plugin - Works with Wallpaper Engine

Post by mcpaton »

Hi

I like the look of this and reckon I could use it in a couple of situations. I have found in playing around with it though, that if you refresh the skin utilising the plugin, it seems to break the connection altogether, and you need to close and reopen Rainmeter to get it to run again.

Is there a way to gracefully close the socket when refreshing a skin?

Cheers
tjhrulz
Developer

Post by tjhrulz »

It's actually only when refreshing the last skin it closes the server so it's not running in the background still. It should reopen the server back up once the skin is done reloading. I'll double check that it is working correctly tonight.

Edit: I forgot to clear the list of services when closing the server so when it got refreshed it would not reopen any old services, I just committed a fix to github and will have a new build up shortly.

Edit2: Uploaded new version
mcpaton

Post by mcpaton »

Thanks I'll give it a try
RiseUp

Post by RiseUp »

Thanks for this plugin! I've been working with a number of different methods of getting data into Rainmeter from other applications (such as EventGhost) for a while now. After playing with your plugin for a half-hour, this looks like it's going to work wonderfully.

:thumbup: