It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:35 pm

Rainmeter Top Processes

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
ailia

Re: Rainmeter Top Processes

Post by ailia »

Okay, some good news and some bad news, first the bad news: Doing a total rewrite from the ground up. The good news is performance is solid, and every single process performance counter will work.

The per-process network stats I'll take a look at later, going to be a bit more complex of a problem to solve there.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Great, looking forward to it!
ailia

Post by ailia »

New plugin can be found here, seems to work under win 8/8.1 according to jsmorley.

http://rainmeter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=20512
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Great! Congratulations!

Seems to work as expected on Windows 7 x64. Still have to look into the skin to check out how to properly use the plugin's settings. But as of now, it doesn't seem to complicated :thumbup:

I'll add a skin based on this plugin to my collection of skins (which are always on top and always running), so that I can further observe how this works and give feedback if required.

P.S. It's consistent with Task Manager & TopProcesses plugin, so it looks like we have a winner here.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

All options are case sensitive!

Parent Meter Options:
Category=Name of the perfmon category to load
Order=Name of the perfmon counter to sort the category
Filter=Names of instances to exclude from final output seperated by |
Mode=See mode section below

Child Meter Options:
ParentName=Name of the parent meter
Counter=Name of the perfmon counter to retrieve, name if you want the isntance name itself
Instance=Instance # to retrieve, starting at 1
Mode=See mode section below

Modes
Normal Gives the raw counter value, useful for things like memory totals
Difference Gives the difference between the current value and previous, useful for things like measuring data per second
DifferenceTotal Gives the difference divided by the total, requires there be a _Total instance
DifferenceTotalPercent Gives the difference divided by the total as a percentage, requires there be a _Total instance
I guess these instructions (from the link above) are outdated, correct? I tried to replace Type= with Counter= and Process= with Instance= (as specified in the above instructions) in the sample skin that came with the plugin with no luck. So Type= and Process= are is the correct and final parameter syntax, right? Or is it the other way around?

And ... is Category= still a valid parameter, cause I don't see it anywhere, so my guess is that it isn't valid anymore?

P.S. You must have written those instructions above in a hurry, as instead of "Meter" you should have written "Measure". I got that right away, but other future users of your great plugin might not be that ... "receptive" ;-)

EDIT : I just checked again the link above and saw the 0.0.1.2 version of the skin/plugin, which is consistent with the instructions that you gave. Seems I downloaded the 0.0.1.0 version which had a slightly different syntax. All good now.
mandes

Post by mandes »

This may be more than a year late, but I found topprocess v2.2.1 (last on rainmeter forum was 2.0 / 2.2.0.1):
https://github.com/mistic100/Rainmeter-TopProcesses

Seems to work on my win 10 x64 + rainmeter 4..
Or maybe it's just rainmeter 4..

Would appreciate it if someone can verify this..
sephirotess

Post by sephirotess »

mandes wrote:This may be more than a year late, but I found topprocess v2.2.1 (last on rainmeter forum was 2.0 / 2.2.0.1):

For me, TopProcess is too unstable, on my Windows 10 and 8.1 (both X64). He makes Rainmeter crash. Many skin designers have abadnonned it, because it has too many bugs. If it works well for you, keep it. Personally, I tried different versions and had too many false joys and too many crashes :twisted:.

This new version should be tested over a period long enough to have a real idea, because all the older versions worked pretty well, for a while and after ... bammm crash repeatedly :???:.
sephirotess

Post by sephirotess »

Well, I confirm what I said in my previous post. TopProcess is not stable enough. I tried the new version. I launched 2 skins (CPU & Memory). I saved in a layout. I loaded another layout, then reloaded the one with the skins and boummm, Rainmeter crash. I tested under Windows 10 and for now, no crash under Windows 8.1, with the same manipulation.
fred_gaou

Post by fred_gaou »

mandes wrote:This may be more than a year late, but I found topprocess v2.2.1 (last on rainmeter forum was 2.0 / 2.2.0.1):

I confirm topprocess v2.2.1 x64 works on win 10 x64 + rainmeter 4. All previous tests in the past resulted in Rainmeter crashes. At last, I can no get 3 top processes by memory usage. Thanks for report :thumbup:
fred_gaou

Post by fred_gaou »

Bad news… It has been working fine until today. Now Rainmeter just crashes right when loading a skin that use this plugin. I don't understand why it's been stable during almost a week and suddenly stop working without any change on setup.

Rainmeter log didn't help. Reboot PC either.

Windows log is as follow when debug mode is activated in rainmeter:
top processes.zip
(2.47 KiB) Downloaded 141 times
We've been waiting a built in way to display top [any number] processes by RAM, etc. to no avail since 2009, guys.

It's a shame, I must say, that nothing has moved in this section with rainmeter 4.