It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:21 pm

Rainmeter Top Processes

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
ailia

Re: Rainmeter Top Processes

Post by ailia »

I don't see anything being displayed incorrectly, even from your example a week ago. A lot of perfmon variables start with kilo units. 95.9 mb equals 98224 kb, and every time you go up or down a prefix, the numbers look further dissimilar even though they are not, remember a 1024 scale means working from base 2 math, not base 10. Every change of prefix multiplies or divides the current value by 1024.

The numbers might look unintuitive, but they are scaled correctly.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

ailia wrote:I don't see anything being displayed incorrectly, even from your example a week ago. A lot of perfmon variables start with kilo units. 95.9 mb equals 98224 kb, and every time you go up or down a prefix, the numbers look further dissimilar even though they are not, remember a 1024 scale means working from base 2 math, not base 10. Every change of prefix multiplies or divides the current value by 1024.

The numbers might look unintuitive, but they are scaled correctly.
Thanks for the explanation.

Great work on this plugin! :thumbup:
ailia

Post by ailia »

Update landing soontm, adding:

[√] Filtering
[√] PrivateWorkingSet
[-] Process Grouping for combined totals of duplicate processes
[√] More accurate CPU Usage
[X] User-mode reading of non-user processes - Ends up using almost as much CPU as TopProcesses.dll
[√] Better Performance
[√] Compiler Optimization (Yes, the releases so far were debug builds >.<)
[√] A less-terrible Example skin
[√] The Source Code

If you have any suggestions, get em in, going to be pretty inactive after this release is bug free.
fred_gaou

Post by fred_gaou »

Hi ailia the top processes messiah.

Any new release? I can't wait to test your plugins in win8.1.
  • Rainmeter 4.3.1.3321 64-bit (Sep 22 2019) - French (1036)
  • Windows 10 Pro 1909 64-bit (build 18363) - French (1036)
  • Path: D:\Programmes\Customisation\Rainmeter\
  • SkinPath: D:\Programmes\Customisation\Rainmeter\Skins\
  • SettingsPath: D:\Programmes\Customisation\Rainmeter\
  • IniFile: D:\Programmes\Customisation\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

[√] PrivateWorkingSet
If you have any suggestions, get em in, going to be pretty inactive after this release is bug free.
Does this mean there's memory stats too, not just CPU? If that's so, then you're on the right track. Good work!

I do have some suggestions :
- include top processes by IO stats (IO Data Bytes, IO Other Bytes, IO Bytes Read & Write/sec). These are also in PerfMon, right beside the counters for CPU/memory top processes.
- this one is a little different : top network processes (or simply listing the procceses connecting to the network/internet)

I was discussing with eclectic-tech the other day saying it would be great for a plugin to have all four categories of stats for top processes (CPU, memory, disk usage and network access). For now, we can get the overall physical disk / logical partitions usage with a simple perfmon plugin query, but not for top IO/disk processes. As for network connections, there is a plugin here :
http://customize.org/rainmeter/skins/44187
but it seems it only works on 32-bit systems - I have Win 7 x64 and the dll is not seen by Rainmeter, despite beeing in the right location.

So there you have it. You wanted suggestions, you got them. It's not too late to back off of plugin making, you know ... :D
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
fred_gaou

Post by fred_gaou »

Good idea Yincognito!
  • Rainmeter 4.3.1.3321 64-bit (Sep 22 2019) - French (1036)
  • Windows 10 Pro 1909 64-bit (build 18363) - French (1036)
  • Path: D:\Programmes\Customisation\Rainmeter\
  • SkinPath: D:\Programmes\Customisation\Rainmeter\Skins\
  • SettingsPath: D:\Programmes\Customisation\Rainmeter\
  • IniFile: D:\Programmes\Customisation\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.ini
ailia

Post by ailia »

Next release is taking a bit longer than hoped due to sciatic nerve pain, a bit hard to get any real dev work done in pain or full of pain pills. Hope to push something out this week though, may just be another beta unfortunately. That said, the dev version has been 100% stable for a while now, so other than a few features missing from the cpu plugin, we're about done.
Yincognito wrote:Does this mean there's memory stats too, not just CPU? If that's so, then you're on the right track. Good work!
Yea, already have a plugin for each usage case, going to start my own thread with next release since the scope is a bit larger than what this one covers.
Yincognito wrote:- include top processes by IO stats (IO Data Bytes, IO Other Bytes, IO Bytes Read & Write/sec). These are also in PerfMon, right beside the counters for CPU/memory top processes.
This one doesn't seem likely, but I'll take a look at it. The main thing that pushed me to write these plugins in the first place was the horrific CPU usage of the existing ones, most perf counters are rather bad in that regard, especially CPU usage ones; getting the cpu usage without performance counters was what made the cpu plugin so tricky. If the relevant counters are 'cheap', like the privateworkingset counter is, it may happen.
Yincognito wrote:I was discussing with eclectic-tech the other day saying it would be great for a plugin to have all four categories of stats for top processes (CPU, memory, disk usage and network access).
I'll look into disk/network access after I get the existing cpu/mem plugins done, few complications to be had there similar to the cpu plugin issue.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Sorry for your pain, I hope you get well soon (and permanently). Unfortunately, health can't be programmed so precisely and efficiently like you try to make your plugin.

I agree - the less workload your plugin puts on the CPU/mem, the better. As for the IO (disk) performance counters, I'm no expert, but the storage being the slowest of the computer's components, checking it up shouldn't be that CPU/mem intesive. But you know better, as I don't know exactly how you tackled the project.

Out of curiousity... does your plugin use WMI to get to the data? From what I understood (I think) from other similar projects, this is one way to get some useful info regarding the computer, other than the "slow" Performance counters...

Be sure to let us know when you're releasing the plugin, so we can test it and give you some feeback on its behaviour :thumbup:
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

Good idea Yincognito!
Thank you, but the man who puts his ideas into practice (and hence the results of an applied idea) is more valuable than the idea itself, at least that's how I see it. You can have tons of ideas, if you or anyone doesn't make them happen, than that's no use to it.

And unfortunately there are lots of good ideas never been put to practice in this world...
ailia

Post by ailia »

Yincognito wrote:Out of curiousity... does your plugin use WMI to get to the data? From what I understood (I think) from other similar projects, this is one way to get some useful info regarding the computer, other than the "slow" Performance counters...
Performance Counters essentially are WMI. The way I got around the whole issue was directly reading from the processes themselves for mem usage and hooking the processes to get cpu counts to calculate cpu usage, which is why the cpu plugin only reads user processes unless run as an admin, it can't hook processes it doesn't have access rights to.

Hoping to have a final release of ProcessMem done today, beyond that no real ETA.