It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:29 pm

Drag&Drop[V 3.1.3] - Drag and drop functionallity in Rainmeter, now with even more fancyness!

Share and get help with Plugins and Addons
Jvn

Re: Drag&Drop[V 3.0.0] - Drag and drop functionallity in Rainmeter, now with even more fancyness!

Post by Jvn »

Hello, just dropping by to say great plugin and ask a question: Is there a way to drag URLs from a browser and drop them as simple text?

It feels like it should be doable as the example skin for Drag&Drop already allow to drop images from a browser and it'll read from the cache, and programs like notepad++ will receive URLs as text already, making me think that this wouldn't be that difficult. I'd totally expect something like Action=Raw / Text / String.

The use I'd like it for is so that I can drag magnet or torrent links directly from the browser and drop them on my modified non-local unicode-friendly wider qBT skin (original by JSMorley), as I'm sure I could send the url strings to the qbittorrent server proper and have them start downloading automatically using the qbittorrent's web api.
theAzack9
Developer

Re: Drag&Drop[V 3.0.0] - Drag and drop functionallity in Rainmeter, now with even more fancyness!

Post by theAzack9 »

Jvn wrote:Hello, just dropping by to say great plugin and ask a question: Is there a way to drag URLs from a browser and drop them as simple text?

It feels like it should be doable as the example skin for Drag&Drop already allow to drop images from a browser and it'll read from the cache, and programs like notepad++ will receive URLs as text already, making me think that this wouldn't be that difficult. I'd totally expect something like Action=Raw / Text / String.

The use I'd like it for is so that I can drag magnet or torrent links directly from the browser and drop them on my modified non-local unicode-friendly wider qBT skin (original by JSMorley), as I'm sure I could send the url strings to the qbittorrent server proper and have them start downloading automatically using the qbittorrent's web api.
First off, sorry for the late answer

It is possible, yes, but not in the current state of the plugin. I might update it one day with further functionality for drop of text etc, but this version does only support dropping of files. (or it should at least only allow that)

I'm actually surprised you managed to drop images from the browser, if you could give me an example of how you did that it would be great ;) (i won't remove it, but i just want to test it :p )

So to answer your question, i'm sorry, there are no way of dropping URLs currently, but it might be something i'll put on my todo list ;)
Jvn

Post by Jvn »

Ok, thanks for the info.

And about replicating the image drag and drop: it's simple because it can be done with the example skin for Drag&Drop (which is Action=Path if I'm not mistaken) but only succeeds when using Firefox, probably because of how it deals with drag & drop.
Using the About Rainmeter -> Skins, I can confirm it is reading the file from %appdata%\Local\Temp. Chrome or Edge(ugh) doesn't seem to work and I haven't tested any other browsers.
theAzack9
Developer

Post by theAzack9 »

Jvn wrote:Ok, thanks for the info.

And about replicating the image drag and drop: it's simple because it can be done with the example skin for Drag&Drop (which is Action=Path if I'm not mistaken) but only succeeds when using Firefox, probably because of how it deals with drag & drop.
Using the About Rainmeter -> Skins, I can confirm it is reading the file from %appdata%\Local\Temp. Chrome or Edge(ugh) doesn't seem to work and I haven't tested any other browsers.
That makes sense, since Firefox caches all images so that it can load the page faster next time. (i think) Thanks tho. :thumbup:

Also, it might not be the solution you sought for, but you could always use InputText as a temporary solution to the drag&drop of the url. Though i agree that dragging it would be much easier ;)
Virginityrocks

Post by Virginityrocks »

Azack, have you made any changes or have any suggestions as to how I can have normal mouseover mouseleave and left/right/middle clicks on meters underneith the dropzone?
theAzack9
Developer

Post by theAzack9 »

Virginityrocks wrote:Azack, have you made any changes or have any suggestions as to how I can have normal mouseover mouseleave and left/right/middle clicks on meters underneith the dropzone?
It should work, but it's always best to test it ;)
alkarl

Post by alkarl »

nice work this function was what i was looking for several months ago but then dropped my researches,

unfortunately my hopes went down again when i discovered that this drag n drop function does not accept chunks of text dragged from, say, a browser or a PDF reader,

so would it be possible to tinker with you code so that it would be possible to catch those chunks of data/Text and copy them on a drop action for ex ? or would it be too complicated ?

thank you again :welcome:
theAzack9
Developer

Post by theAzack9 »

alkarl wrote:nice work this function was what i was looking for several months ago but then dropped my researches,

unfortunately my hopes went down again when i discovered that this drag n drop function does not accept chunks of text dragged from, say, a browser or a PDF reader,

so would it be possible to tinker with you code so that it would be possible to catch those chunks of data/Text and copy them on a drop action for ex ? or would it be too complicated ?

thank you again :welcome:
I have some ideas so don't see this as impossible, but i want to plan it further before i make any changes myself. ;)

I'm also a bit limited on time right now so i won't promise anything before i know i'll have time for it

It is certainly possible tho and if anyone wants to add the functionality themselves will i be more than happy to merge the changes.
alkarl

Post by alkarl »

i am no rainmeter coder so i have no idea from where to start but i do have some basic skills for tinkering, useless in this case lol

i am a heavy mouse and drag user, from browsing and firing functionalities through gestures to appending text to .txt or outliners etc..
it would be great if rainmeter would be upgraded with this "vital" functionality, since my desktop is a rainmeter dashboard i am always confronted with the scenario of 'dragging my way out' of the desktop's dead end :p

yes hoping that maybe someone could help, and also thx for your work it's really great, have a nice day :welcome: