It is currently March 28th, 2024, 3:20 pm

Plugin: Chameleon

Plugins and Addons popular with the Community
Socks the Fox

Re: Plugin: Chameleon

Post by Socks the Fox »

Neat! I'm glad to see people using this, it definitely helps motivate me to work on it more :3
Flayre1

Post by Flayre1 »

I'm pretty new to using Rainmeter, but I have been mucking around with a setup for a few days and I came across this plugin.

I'm having a bit of trouble implementing it into existing skins (specifically DINAJ2, Circuituoustwo, Frost and L!mit)
I've been looking around for tips on what to do but no matter what I do all I can get the skins to do is turn white.

I've got absolutely no idea what to do to make it work with the skins, could you give me a quick walkthrough on how to make an existing skin use chameleon plugin please?

Sorry to be completely useless!
Tthaddee

Post by Tthaddee »

Hi Socks The Fox,

I'm finishing my Rainmeter skin. Now I integrated a VisBubble visualizer in the code itself and I'm proud of it (and modest btw :P ), but when the Chameleon and the VisBubble are working, all the skin (fading effect between two colors, and the visualizer) starts to stutter and ruin all the fluidity of the 60fps. I thing it's a synchronisation of both effect update rate, but after some hours to look for, I'm giving up :(

Here is a video :

I sent you a link to download the *.rmskin file.
Can you please take a look ? I'll be in hospital for the whole week and I'll not have my PC. I'll only be able to follow this forum on my smartphone.
Thank you a lot !! :)
Tthaddee

Post by Tthaddee »

Flayre1 wrote:I'm pretty new to using Rainmeter, but I have been mucking around with a setup for a few days and I came across this plugin.

I'm having a bit of trouble implementing it into existing skins (specifically DINAJ2, Circuituoustwo, Frost and L!mit)
I've been looking around for tips on what to do but no matter what I do all I can get the skins to do is turn white.

I've got absolutely no idea what to do to make it work with the skins, could you give me a quick walkthrough on how to make an existing skin use chameleon plugin please?

Sorry to be completely useless!
Hi Flayre1,

You can find HERE the Chameleon plugin already implemented inside example skins. The code is well commentated and you'll find the important meters to make it work in your skin :)
Maybe can you explain us more precisely what do you want to do with some screens and parts of code. It'll make our help more helpful :)
Flayre1

Post by Flayre1 »

Tthaddee wrote:Hi Flayre1,

You can find HERE the Chameleon plugin already implemented inside example skins. The code is well commentated and you'll find the important meters to make it work in your skin :)
Maybe can you explain us more precisely what do you want to do with some screens and parts of code. It'll make our help more helpful :)
Hey, thanks for the reply.
I've been using this page for examples and such, but when I say I have no idea what I'm doing I've really got no idea! This is pretty much the only time I have ever done anything like this (eh but always gotta start somewhere!)
When I attempt to add it into DINAJ the text turns white (background should be returning a red, tried with several wallpapers)
This is the code I have (only the area I have changed):

Code: Select all

[Metadata]
 Name=Do I Need a Jacket?
 Author=Flying Hyrax | flyinghyrax.deviantart.com
 Information=Weather, simplified - do you need a jacket?  This skin checks the current temperature and lets you know. | - Options are all in the [Variables] section of the skin file; just edit dinaj.ini, save, and refresh. | - Change the size of the skin by mouse-wheel scrolling on it. | - Change text alignment using the skin context menu
 Version=2.1
 License=Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported

[ChameleonDesktop]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Chameleon
Type=Desktop

[DesktopBG1]
Measure=Plugin
Plugin=Chameleon
Parent=ChameleonDesktop
Color=Background1

[Variables]

; Weather.com location code
 ; Go to weather.com and search for your location.
 ; The location code is in the URL on the page for your location.
 ; e.g. for Chicago:
 ; https://weather.com/weather/today/l/USIL0225:1:US
 ;                                     ^^^^^^^^
 location=

; 'f' for English, 'm' for Metric
 unit=m

; temperature thresholds; if you are using Celsius make sure you adjust these
 jacket_temp=15
 coat_temp=10

; appearance
 font=Segoe UI Light
 text_color=[Background1]
Obviously removed my location code ;)
Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it! :)
Flayre1

Post by Flayre1 »

Ah ok I think I worked it out. Kinda by mistake? Can I suggest maybe showing a skin coded without chameleon followed by it implemented rather than just the code that needs to be added in? I realise it's probably pretty obvious for someone who's less of a novice than me XD
Anyway thanks for the help! Hopefully I won't have any trouble with the other skins, but if I do I know who's willing to help!
Thanks mate!!
Socks the Fox

Post by Socks the Fox »

The code you posted looks correct except for one thing: you need to have DynamicVariables=1 on the meter (the part that actually shows the text) so that Rainmeter will automatically re-calculate the color of the text whenever Chameleon changes. When Chameleon first starts, it uses the fallback colors which default to black foreground and white background until it's had a chance to sample the colors.
Flayre1

Post by Flayre1 »

Hey,
Thanks for the help last time, sorry I was being a complete muppet!
So I managed to get Chameleon to play nicely with DINAJ, and I have been going through the different variables trying to decide on a colour to use (settled on Foreground1 but that's pretty irrelevant here).
All of the chameleon variables seem to working great for the colour, except both Foreground variables are displaying as white. The image has got only about 4 colours on it (mainly, shades and such) but the two that are foreground would be black and white.
No matter which variable I choose chameleon seems to ignore the black on the image. I'm not sure if that's just the image I'm using or something I have mistyped?
Thanks
Flayre1
Socks the Fox

Post by Socks the Fox »

Can you post the image?

One thing Chameleon does is try to enforce a minimum contrast, and will force the chosen foreground colors towards either white or black depending on the brightness of the background, so maybe that has something to do with it. This is mostly to handle images with little contrast as it is such as simple gradients or patterns. I've been trying to work that part of the algorithm out so that it is less likely to force it all the way to white or black and instead just chose a lighter or darker version of the picked color, but it still needs some work.
Flayre1

Post by Flayre1 »

Socks the Fox wrote:Can you post the image?

One thing Chameleon does is try to enforce a minimum contrast, and will force the chosen foreground colors towards either white or black depending on the brightness of the background, so maybe that has something to do with it. This is mostly to handle images with little contrast as it is such as simple gradients or patterns. I've been trying to work that part of the algorithm out so that it is less likely to force it all the way to white or black and instead just chose a lighter or darker version of the picked color, but it still needs some work.
It's this wallpaper here :) http://i.imgur.com/8b6CSiM.jpg
Thanks for the help, and the plugin is great!