It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:35 pm

Plugin: Chameleon

Plugins and Addons popular with the Community
Socks the Fox

Plugin: Chameleon

Post by Socks the Fox »

So, I've recently wrapped up development of my Chameleon plugin, which allows skins to grab some key colors from either the desktop it's sitting on, a specific image, or an icon. Here are a few examples:

Working with desktops:

And from the NowPlaying album art:

Download here: https://software.socksthefox.net/chameleon/
Source here: https://github.com/socks-the-fox/chameleon
Socks the Fox

Re: Plugin: Chameleon

Post by Socks the Fox »

So now that this is more or less finished, does anyone have any suggestions for potential future features?
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Socks the Fox wrote:So now that this is more or less finished, does anyone have any suggestions for potential future features?
The link to download the plugin is not working... :(

Suggestion: An option to specify the alpha value in the measure, or have the option to return only RGB values (no alpha). I would like to see that capability to make this more versatile.

I am currently working with the ColorExtract plugin by icesoldier, and would like to compare your plugin color selection.

Thanks!
Socks the Fox

Post by Socks the Fox »

Odd, it's downloading here. The link goes to my site, which has info on the plugin and links to a zip that contains the DLLs. Are you getting an error?

I definitely will add that option! It'll be easy :3

I'm sure mine doesn't always compare well (there are plenty of instances where I feel it could be better, and mine doesn't follow the iTunes algorithm so there are definitely differences).
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

sockserr.png
Thanks for considering the suggestion, I look forward to giving this plugin a workout!
Socks the Fox

Post by Socks the Fox »

Odd! Looks like your browser doesn't like Cloudflare's SSL setup. What version do you use? I know they got rid of a lot of potentially insecure ones used by older browsers...
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Download works for me.

Hey Socks, I noticed this on your page:
Installing Chameleon is a bit different from what Rainmeter normally does. Since my intent is to have it be used by a number of skins, I prefer it to be installed directly to the Rainmeter Plugins folder. No point in having 6 copies of the same DLL all running at once! As such, you'll need to pick the correct architecture (x64 if you use 64-bit Rainmeter, x86 if you use 32-bit) and copy it over yourself
This is not needed. 3rd-party plugins will be installed in the C:\Users\UserName\Appdata\Roaming\Rainmeter\Plugins folder and all the skins installed for that user will have access to your plugin. Other users of the computer will have to install the plugin as well (but that is ok, but they would have to also install the skin anyway). 3rd party plugins are only stored in one place, not on a per skin basis.

The C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Plugins folder is the plugins that come with Rainmeter only.

Please use the .rmskin packager to package your skins and plugins. This really helps with users installing older versions of plugins over newer versions, and also helps us keep malware out of downloads. (We had a really big problem with that a few years ago.)

-Brian

PS - Nice work on this.
Socks the Fox

Post by Socks the Fox »

Ah! I did not know that. I'll redo my instructions when I update the plugin :3
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Great! Thank you!

-Brian
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Socks the Fox wrote:Odd! Looks like your browser doesn't like Cloudflare's SSL setup. What version do you use? I know they got rid of a lot of potentially insecure ones used by older browsers...
Latest version of Chrome Version 45.0.2454.93 m
Just tried with Yandex browser version 15.9.2403.2805 beta (latest)

Both return connection error... :confused:

I will look at my settings since it seems to be working for others. :x

EDIT: This link worked for me: http://software.socksthefox.net/chameleon/