It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:29 am

Notepad++: Snippets for Rainmeter

Plugins and Addons popular with the Community
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Notepad++: Snippets for Rainmeter

Post by jsmorley »

I reluctantly have come to the conclusion that this is just too much information all at once to really work for me. This is a wonderful concept, but I think it just has to be in some kind of "tree" structure that you can expand and collapse. Sorta similar to what I did with RainSend.
1.jpg
Otherwise, it is just overwhelming in my view... Too much scrolling, and too difficult to pick what you want out of the blizzard of items.
2.jpg
Am I missing something?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Maybe separate "libraries" by some functional breakdown. Then you use the pulldown at the top to drill down into the section you want. Not sure...

We need a usability study. Get a grant for $100 million from Congress!
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Lat month, I was hesitant to add the skin bangs for exactly that reason... and why I moved them to the end of the list in the last mod. You can quickly navigate to a section by pressing the fist letter, but that is no answer for the long list.

I agree that a tree list would definitely be easier to navigate.
I will look into that, but do not know if I have the skill to do that. :(

I may simply reduce it back to measures, meters, plugins, and actions...
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

jsmorley wrote:Maybe separate "libraries" by some functional breakdown. Then you use the pulldown at the top to drill down into the section you want. Not sure...

We need a usability study. Get a grant for $100 million from Congress!
Separate Libraries is doable... don't even need the grant :D
(I will be traveling for the next few days, so any change may not happen until next week.)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

eclectic-tech wrote: I may simply reduce it back to measures, meters, plugins, and actions...
I do tend to think that trying to get absolutely bit of syntax in Rainmeter into this runs the risk of trying to turn it into a "skin builder", which it really isn't structured to support, and I wouldn't like anyway.

I mostly saw RainSend as little "templates" for things. I want a WebParser measure, but I can never remember all the options you can or might want to set on it, so being able to quickly drop in a fully populated WebParser measure, then just remove the stuff I don't want, seemed to help. I never saw this as replacing the manual, or avoiding it.

I do think you can get too "granular" in what constitutes a "template", and then it gets kinda long and confusing.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

I will definitely look at simplifying this. The original thought of templates has gotten a bit lost in the current format, so restructuring the format is something I will look at.

Thanks for the thoughts, they echoed what I have been thinking, but I took the approach that "more is better", and that is not always true!

I'll see what I can put together for a "re-launch"
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Yeah, as much as anything, I use a couple of "Macros" (not snippets) that I stuck into Notepad++. The thing I do probably the most often is restart my oft-abused "Test" skin, in order to help someone with something. So having a quick and dirty way to replace what is there now with a simple skin template saves me a lot of typing...
1.jpg
2.jpg
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

New Separate and Simplified Rainmeter Snippet Libraries

The new Snippet Libraries for Rainmeter have been separated into 2 separate Libraries for easier access based on your intended use.
Separating the snippets eliminates having an extended list of items that has to be scrolled and searched.

Rainmeter Templates Library
Contains templates for measures, meters, and plugins currently available.
Trying to remember rarely used options usually means hunting through the documentation for answers.
This library has the advantage of including the options that are available for every type of measure, meter, and plugin.
Also contains a templates for a New Skin (either Rainmeter or Lua)

Rainmeter Action Bangs Library
Contain code snippets for comparisons, mouse actions, and bangs
Some users may find this library useful for remembering the syntax of commands and to save some keystroke in coding skins.

First post attachment updated...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

eclectic-tech wrote:New Separate and Simplified Rainmeter Snippet Libraries
The new Snippet Libraries for Rainmeter have been separated into 2 separate Libraries for easier access based on your intended use.
Separating the snippets eliminates having an extended list of items that has to be scrolled and searched.
Nice... I like it!
Active Colors

Post by Active Colors »

Sorry, but it seems I can't to install your snippets properly. Whenever I try to open Snippets in Notepad++ it throws me a message saying "Unable to find the database, check your installation!" and Snippets can't be loaded.

Could you describe the way you install snippets?