It is currently April 18th, 2024, 11:03 pm

Lock Screen

Skins that control functions in Windows or Rainmeter
shAdowz

Lock Screen

Post by shAdowz »

Hello everyone! I just made this simple but powerful lock screen. It works much like a cellphone lock screen, but with a password.

What it does:
Upon installing, it will load a skin where it will ask you to enter your password for the lock screen. As you enter your password, it will load a lock button. If you press this lock button, it will bring up the lock screen. As the lock screen loads, it will execute a batch file in it that will kill the process, "explorer.exe", disabling your taskbar. Also, it stays on top of everything else so there is no way out (There is one way out.). If you entered the wrong pasword, it will prompt you to enter it again. If you entered the right password, it will unload the lock screen and execute another batch file that runs the process, "explorer.exe" , re-enabling your taskbar. Also, it loads again the lock button.

ONE WAY OUT IN CASE ANYTHING GOES WRONG.
Ctrl + right click, then unload skin. I can't find a way how to bypass this. Also, if you do this, explorer.exe will still remain closed, so you have to run it in the task manager.

UPDATE: I found another way out. Ctrl+Allt+Delete or Ctrl+Shift+Esc to run the task manager and close Rainmeter.exe. But, I found a way to disable the task manager when the lock screen is up and enable it when it goes out using batch files to call registry files. The only problem is, you have to edit the batch files.

Task Manager Disabling/Enabling instructions:
- The registry files are named disableCtrlAltDel.reg and enableCtrlAltDel.reg. They are located in the Registry Files folder of the skin. Copy the path to this folder.
- Edit the batch files, OnTskMngr.bat and OffTSkMngr.bat in a text editor. Replace the bath in the batch files with the path of the registry files in the Registry Files folder.
Example:

Code: Select all

@echo off
regedit.exe /s "Path_to_Registry_Files_folder\disableCtrlAltDel.reg""
- Save the batch files. (Optional: Disable UAC to avoid the prompt when opening or closing the lock screen.)

Any suggestions, good ideas or comments are appreciated. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MikeG621

Re: Lock Screen

Post by MikeG621 »

Word of caution: there are certain programs that live in the system tray that if you kill explorer, will not return to the tray after restarting it, leaving you unable to access them. This is in part due to losing the parent/child relationships when the parent (explorer) dies.
shAdowz

Re: Lock Screen

Post by shAdowz »

Oh I have noticed that. So that's what happens when I activate the lock screen. I was wondering about that. Well, for now, I haven't found a solution. But I'd be happy if anyone will find one.