It is currently April 20th, 2024, 4:04 am

Rainmeter crashing often but irregularly

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Esker

Rainmeter crashing often but irregularly

Post by Esker »

I've been using Rainmeter for years now, but ever since I updated to the new version I can't get it to actually stay running. It keeps crashing for no reason I can determine, and it does it in the background. I can be quite happily browsing the net or something and suddenly I get an error message telling me that Rainmeter has encountered a problem and has to close. This happens on an irregular basis, several times a day.

I also updated my weather skin to work with AccuWeather just after upgrading, but I'm uncertain that there's anything in it that could be causing the crash problem.....

Attached are the "details" windows for the crash reports. Two differing ones, apparently selected at random. Also attached is a rar file of the two skins I use (author is me, just under a different name).

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'm running XP SP2.

UPDATE: The last six crashes have all produced the error that mentions WindowMessagePlugin.dll. I haven't seen the other one in a little while now.
macka7887

Re: Rainmeter crashing often but irregularly

Post by macka7887 »

Aggreed.
I have upgraded to the newest version on Vista Home Premium SP2 and it continuously crashes. It might be open for 10 - 15 minute's, sometime's longer then it come's up Rainmeter.exe has encounted an error. Blah Blah Blah...
Seem's just it is just not me then :(
Esker

Post by Esker »

After exploring the issue for a bit, I think the crashing might be related somehow to my wallpaper changer (John's Background Switcher). If I start Rainmeter then force a wallpaper switch, Rainmeter immediately crashes with the "ModName: unknown" error.

If I let it do its thing as normal and wait for the "WindowMessagePlugin.dll" error to pop up, the background switches immediately after acknowledging the error.
KiRe

Post by KiRe »

Shot in the dark, but are you using a laptop and the itunes plugin? Cause I'm rainmeter is also crashing on me and just wanting to make sure they are NOT related
^ rainmeter noob.
Esker

Post by Esker »

Nope, sorry. Desktop PC and no iTunes.
macka7887

Post by macka7887 »

KiRe wrote:Shot in the dark, but are you using a laptop and the itunes plugin? Cause I'm rainmeter is also crashing on me and just wanting to make sure they are NOT related
Come to think of it,
I used Winamp last night and I don't think rainmeter crashed. Will look out for it.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

:welcome: to the forums Esker :D

I noted that you are using SP2, now this may or may not assist in this issue, but I would suggest getting SP3.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/bb794714.aspx

Do not quote me as a fix here, but before I dumped XP, this corrected a WinAmp crash I was dealing with.

Also if you are using DFX sound enhancement, there is a documented issue with their 9.1 latest release, you will need to roll back to DFX 9.0 until this issue is corrected.