It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:09 pm

Profiles

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Kaelri
Developer

Profiles

Post by Kaelri »

This comes from the very crude "template" system that I tried to implement in Enigma.

Basically, instead of having only one Rainmeter.ini, I'd like the user to have multiple "profiles" or "states" to switch between. This would be nothing more than a set of .INIs in a folder somewhere, all of which function identically to Rainmeter.ini.

Ideally, through the context menu, the user would be able to create new profiles by either saving their current setup, or creating a blank state. As usual, Rainmeter would automatically save changes to whichever state is "active," while the others are preserved, just like saving your progress in a game. To switch, Rainmeter would just load the appropriate file and refresh itself.

Aside from being useful for users who tend to muck about with different setups, I'm also envisioning a case where skinmakers can install and automatically load a "default" arrangement for their skin, without any risk to the user's own setup.

(Somewhere down the road, I hope to see dynamic preferences for individual skins stored in Rainmeter.ini as well. For example, I travel frequently between Rochester and Toronto, which means that I have to go in and edit my weather skin each trip; it would be nice if the weather code was stored as a dynamic variable, and I could just switch from my "Rochester" state to my "Toronto" state.)
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Profiles

Post by jsmorley »

Kaelri wrote:This comes from the very crude "template" system that I tried to implement in Enigma.

Basically, instead of having only one Rainmeter.ini, I'd like the user to have multiple "profiles" or "states" to switch between. This would be nothing more than a set of .INIs in a folder somewhere, all of which function identically to Rainmeter.ini.

Ideally, through the context menu, the user would be able to create new profiles by either saving their current setup, or creating a blank state. As usual, Rainmeter would automatically save changes to whichever state is "active," while the others are preserved, just like saving your progress in a game. To switch, Rainmeter would just load the appropriate file and refresh itself.

Aside from being useful for users who tend to muck about with different setups, I'm also envisioning a case where skinmakers can install and automatically load a "default" arrangement for their skin, without any risk to the user's own setup.

(Somewhere down the road, I hope to see dynamic preferences for individual skins stored in Rainmeter.ini as well. For example, I travel frequently between Rochester and Toronto, which means that I have to go in and edit my weather skin each trip; it would be nice if the weather code was stored as a dynamic variable, and I could just switch from my "Rochester" state to my "Toronto" state.)
You mght look at RainThemes. It's much of this, although not built into Rainmeter.

http://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=374