It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:08 am

Partial data on startup

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Annex1

Partial data on startup

Post by Annex1 »

Hello all,

Since updating to Rainmeter 0.14.1 I have noticed an issue.

In my current config I have a Gmail meter and a weather meter, other meters as well of course, but their are not affected by this issue.

When I startup my machine, Rainmeter is of course set to start with Windows. The Gmail meter and the weather meter both seem to fail to acquire their data from the net. They both appear blank, instead of displaying "0" or a "?" as they normally would if my net connection was offline.

Refreshing or adding an auto redraw will not resolve the issue. The only way I can successfully get those items to display is to close Rainmeter and reopen it. Viola! All is well.

I may downgrade back to the old build and see if it goes back to normal.

Any insight in the mean time?
sgtevmckay

Re: Partial data on startup

Post by sgtevmckay »

Hello

:welcome: To the forums :D

Actually I have been experiencing something similar, but rarely, normally this happens when my Rainmeter attempts to boot at the same time my firewall is initializing.
The firewall initializer stops all traffic an then analyzes and then let's access through, very annoying at time, because this may also stop FireBird and DropBox dead in it's tracks.

Although your case seems a bit different than this, in as much as;
A refresh of the skin will work for me

You state that you need to shut down, and restart Rainmeter, and this concerns me.

If you decide to down grade, do watch it closely and advise us if you encounter the same issue.

Testing such as this is invaluable to the dev team.

Could we also get your OS, Anti-Virus and firewall info ?

And Again welcome :D
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

You may well be having an issue with Rainmeter trying to start up before some component of your network is done initializing. There is a free program called Startup Delayer at http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?page=2&show=startdelay which will allow you to delay the execution of Rainmeter until your computer has finished booting up completely and is ready for it. It's an excellent program, which although it may not be intuitive, can actually speed up your booting process by eliminating bottlenecks as your system is booting.
Annex1

Post by Annex1 »

I thank both of you for the suggestions.

I've been a long time user/skinner of Rainmeter and was reasonably active on the old forum.

When I said I need to shutdown, I was referring to Rainmeter only. If I close and reopen Rainmeter everything works fine.

I am certainly up to believing the idea that Rainmeter is initialising before a part of my net stack, but refreshing Rainmeter should fix that.

I may try the startup delay and see what the result is. :D

Also, for the sake of info I am on XP, using Windows Firewall, no AV software.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Annex1 wrote:I thank both of you for the suggestions.

I've been a long time user/skinner of Rainmeter and was reasonably active on the old forum.

When I said I need to shutdown, I was referring to Rainmeter only. If I close and reopen Rainmeter everything works fine.

I am certainly up to believing the idea that Rainmeter is initialising before a part of my net stack, but refreshing Rainmeter should fix that.

I may try the startup delay and see what the result is. :D

Also, for the sake of info I am on XP, using Windows Firewall, no AV software.
I suggest it because I think there is something other than the fact that you are running the beta of Rainmeter at play here. I have run the April 20 beta since it came out, and I have never seen behavior as you describe.
ladiesfantasy

Post by ladiesfantasy »

hello people, i got this rainmeter program ageeeez ago bbut i coudnt be bothered using after getting annoyed with it. does anyone knw how to set up the skins soo it appears every time i start up my comp...instead of choosing every skins over and over again which is quiet annoying...
Chewtoy

Post by Chewtoy »

ladiesfantasy wrote:hello people, i got this rainmeter program ageeeez ago bbut i coudnt be bothered using after getting annoyed with it. does anyone knw how to set up the skins soo it appears every time i start up my comp...instead of choosing every skins over and over again which is quiet annoying...
Using vista/win7?

You need to run it as Admin (previledge user or what ever..). UAC don't like it when to files are changed in the Pogram Files folder...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

ladiesfantasy wrote:hello people, i got this rainmeter program ageeeez ago bbut i coudnt be bothered using after getting annoyed with it. does anyone knw how to set up the skins soo it appears every time i start up my comp...instead of choosing every skins over and over again which is quiet annoying...
Right click Rainmeter.exe and under "Properties / Compatibility" set the program to "Run as Administrator" to fix this issue.
jay211083

Post by jay211083 »

I am having the exact same problem, on startup, my weather and network skins are blank and the only way to resolve the issue is to exit rainmeter and start it back up. Refreshing the skins does nothing. I have tried that startup delayer program but it does not seem to work with my computer, whenever I try to do anything with it a windows installer dialog comes up and it says "preparing to install" and nothing happens.

This problem only started happening with the latest version of rainmeter, before that I had no trouble at all. Any other suggestions?