It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:56 pm

Change meter dimensions, measure to detect resolution

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
kati42

Change meter dimensions, measure to detect resolution

Post by kati42 »

Two (related) requests. I'd prioritize the changing of meter dimensions higher than detecting resolution, but they'd be awesome together.

The key issue here is that I am using this on a laptop that I frequently (but not always) hook up to external monitors with different screen resolutions.

1. Bang to change meter dimensions

We can move meters, but can't (as far as I know) change their size. When I have an always-on-top sidebar on my 1280x800 laptop, it looks weird on my 1920x1200 work monitor or my 1680x1050 home monitor. I can't just set the background image to always be the height needed for the 1920 monitor because it goes over the taskbar (and I've not figured out how to fully replace the functionality I need from the taskbar yet). I do want the sidebar on top of all other windows except for the start menu and taskbar.

Since I usually set the key dimensions using a variable, having a !bang to change a variable value would solve this problem (and others). But I'd settle for a bang to specifically change dimensions if that's easier. :)

2. Measure to detect screen resolution

Right now my plan is to have a button to toggle between "versions" of the sidebar (and an alternate config, as I mentioned in another request about reserving desktop area). But it would be really awesome if I didn't even have to do that -- if I could have a measure that watches the resolution and then uses the bang commands to update the config. I think separate X and Y resolution measures might be useful, though I think I could use just X. I know that just Y wouldn't work, because I wouldn't be able to distinguish between tablet portrait mode (800x1200) and my work monitor (1920x1200). Not sure what other people's needs are.

I don't know how this would work with multiple monitors.

I haven't been able to find an easy registry location for this -- all the info I can find are C commands to detect the resolution, and I don't have time unfortunately to figure out how to make plugins at the moment...
dragonmage
Developer

Re: Change meter dimensions, measure to detect resolution

Post by dragonmage »

Actually if you are using the newer beta versions, you can use SysInfo for getting screen resolution. You should be able to use Ifs to then load a different config for each resolution.

I know it's not as graceful a solution as you are looking for, but it should work. I'm waiting for the same feature you requested. What I was thinking was using the result of the screen res as a variable and using that variable as the w or h of a meter.
kati42

Post by kati42 »

dragonmage wrote:Actually if you are using the newer beta versions, you can use SysInfo for getting screen resolution. You should be able to use Ifs to then load a different config for each resolution.

I know it's not as graceful a solution as you are looking for, but it should work. I'm waiting for the same feature you requested. What I was thinking was using the result of the screen res as a variable and using that variable as the w or h of a meter.
No, that should work great for getting the screen res. Is there documentation for that? I'll go do a search...

I suppose I could get the rest of the functionality by having different configs for each monitor, and swapping between them (instead of resizing the meter). That would work. Thanks!
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

If you are using the beta version, the documentation should be included in the local Help file. It apparently also can get the resolution for different monitors.
Klexur

Post by Klexur »

could somebody give an example? an example of how to do this would be really helpful and appreciated.