It is currently March 29th, 2024, 3:53 pm

[Suggestion] Move SkinsPath to users AppData instead of MyDocuments

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
dethknite

[Suggestion] Move SkinsPath to users AppData instead of MyDocuments

Post by dethknite »

Many sync tools such as Dropbox, Google Drive, One Drive, etc., sync MyDocuments folder by default, and the majority of Rainmeter skins contain files that are updated hundreds of times a second (.inc files, audio visualization metrics, weather queries). Most of these skin files are more of things that are of a permanent-scratchpad type of nature.

I personally observed Google Drive was syncing my Skins folder which used a consistent 2-3 Mbps bandwidth just playing local music on my pc.

* Current workarounds are to attempt to exclude specific folders from syncing (which is upkeep), or run in portable mode (which loses .rmskin association features).
jsmorley
Developer

Re: [Suggestion] Move SkinsPath to users AppData instead of MyDocuments

Post by jsmorley »

dethknite wrote: May 20th, 2021, 9:41 pm Many sync tools such as Dropbox, Google Drive, One Drive, etc., sync MyDocuments folder by default, and the majority of Rainmeter skins contain files that are updated hundreds of times a second (.inc files, audio visualization metrics, weather queries). Most of these skin files are more of things that are of a permanent-scratchpad type of nature.

I personally observed Google Drive was syncing my Skins folder which used a consistent 2-3 Mbps bandwidth just playing local music on my pc.

* Current workarounds are to attempt to exclude specific folders from syncing (which is upkeep), or run in portable mode (which loses .rmskin association features).
Feel free to move your skins anywhere you want. Simply Edit Settings, (Rainmeter.ini) exit Rainmeter, change the path in the option SkinPath, save the file. Move the skins to the new location, and restart Rainmeter.

Nothing is stopping you from having complete control over where skins are kept.
dethknite

Post by dethknite »

I have already attempted to do so with the normal install, but on restart, Rainmeter changes the SkinPath= line back to MyDocuments every time. Perhaps removing this revert behavior is a better suggestion.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Simply Edit Settings, (Rainmeter.ini) exit Rainmeter, change the path in the option SkinPath, save the file. Move the skins to the new location, and restart Rainmeter. It will not revert as long as you avoid the final writing to Rainmeter.ini that is done when Rainmeter exits. You want to make the change while Rainmeter is not running.