It is currently March 29th, 2024, 10:56 am

[Suggestion] remembering positions when switching displays

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
clutchmaster

[Suggestion] remembering positions when switching displays

Post by clutchmaster »

i have a 3440x1440 ultrawide and a 1920x1080 monitor setup but i dont use them at the same time i switch between them using display settings and i would love for rainmeter to remember where i place stuff on 1 monitor and remember where i place stuff on the other so i dont have all the skins bunched up in the 1920x1080 config when i switch to the 3440x1440 display
i dont know if this is possible but windows 10 does it with icons so i think it should be possible with rainmeter
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: [Suggestion] remembering positions when switching displays

Post by SilverAzide »

This is a common issue (there are lots of threads about this), but Rainmeter already can do everything you want, depending on your layout. You have a few options. One is right-click the skin and select Settings > Position > "From right" (and "From bottom" if needed). This way skins will position themselves relative to the right edge of the monitor, so when switching resolutions everything will adjust properly.

Your second option is that you can create (or use a pre-made solution you can find on the forums) a skin that will flip layouts based on your screen size. You create two layouts, one for each resolution, and have a skin (which can be invisible) watching for resolution changes and flip layouts when it detects changes.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
clutchmaster

Post by clutchmaster »

SilverAzide wrote: December 5th, 2020, 8:10 pm This is a common issue (there are lots of threads about this), but Rainmeter already can do everything you want, depending on your layout. You have a few options. One is right-click the skin and select Settings > Position > "From right" (and "From bottom" if needed). This way skins will position themselves relative to the right edge of the monitor, so when switching resolutions everything will adjust properly.

Your second option is that you can create (or use a pre-made solution you can find on the forums) a skin that will flip layouts based on your screen size. You create two layouts, one for each resolution, and have a skin (which can be invisible) watching for resolution changes and flip layouts when it detects changes.
thanks couldnt find anything about what u mentioned on my first 10 searches hence why i posted this could u provide me search terms for these things or possibly links to those threads thanks
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

clutchmaster wrote: December 6th, 2020, 4:13 pm thanks couldnt find anything about what u mentioned on my first 10 searches hence why i posted this could u provide me search terms for these things or possibly links to those threads thanks
Create a Layout for each resolution you use. Name them for easy reference and use the !LoadLayout bang to change them when you change resolution. Here is a good tutorial on Layouts.

One way to detect resolution changes would be to use RainRez plugin to switch those layouts when your resolution changes.

The alignment suggestions by SilverAzide would be setup in your main Rainmeter.ini ("Edit settings" in the Manage dialog) for each skin. This is a more advanced method, so creating separate layouts is the easier solution.

Let us know if still need more help.