It is currently January 22nd, 2021, 4:06 pm

A question about "Registry Measure"

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Lssg97

A question about "Registry Measure"

Post by Lssg97 »

Hi guys,

I want to give a feedback about the use of "Registry Measure".

When I use "Measure=Registry", if the content I want to detect is a key or value that does not exist in the registry, Measure will return the number "0" and the string "0". But I cannot use "IfMatch=^0$" to perform related judgment operations, as if it is invalid.

In addition, I also found that if I want to use the Bang "!SetOption" to change "RegKey" in the Registry Measure, if I switch from a key that exists in the registry to a key that does not exist, the value returned by the Measure will not change or become "0". If the value exists in the registry, it can be changed normally.

I am not sure if the situation mentioned above is a problem with the registry itself or a bug in Rainmeter. Hope to get an answer.

Thank you!
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: A question about "Registry Measure"

Post by balala »

Lssg97 wrote: November 26th, 2020, 10:41 am When I use "Measure=Registry", if the content I want to detect is a key or value that does not exist in the registry, Measure will return the number "0" and the string "0". But I cannot use "IfMatch=^0$" to perform related judgment operations, as if it is invalid.
Try to use IfMatch=0.
Lssg97 wrote: November 26th, 2020, 10:41 am In addition, I also found that if I want to use the Bang "!SetOption" to change "RegKey" in the Registry Measure, if I switch from a key that exists in the registry to a key that does not exist, the value returned by the Measure will not change or become "0". If the value exists in the registry, it can be changed normally.
I think it does work. See the code of the following Registry measure:

Code: Select all

[MeasureWindowsVersion]
Measure=Registry
RegHKey=HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
RegKey=Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion
;RegValue=ProductName
As you can see I commented out the RegValue option and this will be set immediatelly by a !SetOption bang (see the whole code below). If I set a valid RegValue through a !SetOption bang, the measure returns the appropriate value, read from the registry. If the set RegValue is not valid, the measure returns 0 and this even dynamically.
So here is the whole code of the skin I used:

[Rainmeter]
DynamicWindowSize=1
AccurateText=1

[Variables]
MyVar=1

[MeasureMyVar]
Measure=Calc
Formula=#MyVar#
IfCondition=(#CURRENTSECTION#=0)
IfTrueAction=[!SetOption MeasureWindowsVersion RegValue "ProducteName"][!UpdateMeasure "MeasureWindowsVersion"]
IfFalseAction=[!SetOption MeasureWindowsVersion RegValue "ProductName"][!UpdateMeasure "MeasureWindowsVersion"]
DynamicVariables=1

[MeasureWindowsVersion]
Measure=Registry
;RegValue=ProductName
IfMatch=0
IfMatchAction=[!SetOption MeterString FontColor "0,255,0"][!UpdateMeter "MeterString"][!Redraw]
IfNotMatchAction=[!SetOption MeterString FontColor "255,0,0"][!UpdateMeter "MeterString"][!Redraw]

[MeterString]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=MeasureWindowsVersion
X=0
Y=0
Padding=15,5,15,5
FontColor=220,220,220
FontEffectColor=0,0,0
StringEffect=Shadow
SolidColor=0,0,0,150
FontSize=8
FontFace=Segoe UI
StringStyle=BOLD
StringAlign=LEFT
AntiAlias=1
Text=%1
DynamicVariables=1
LeftMouseUpAction=[!SetVariable MyVar "(1-#MyVar#)"][!UpdateMeasure "MeasureMyVar"]
See that when you click the string (which is showing the value returned by the Registry measure), the value of the MyVar variable is changing from 0 to 1 (or vice-versa). The RegValue of the [MeasureWindowsVersion] measure is set accordingly and the color of the [MeterString] meter is set as well.
Lssg97

Post by Lssg97 »

balala wrote: November 26th, 2020, 11:17 am I think it does work. See the code of the following Registry measure:
Hi balala,

First of all thank you for your answers. The content you showed works perfectly, but it is a little different from what I encountered.

According to the user manual, if not specified "RegValue", the default value is retrieved. Every existing Key in the registry contains a default value, even if no value is set, it is existing in the registry . But if the content I want to retrieve does not have a corresponding Key in the registry, I will encounter the problem I have reported above.

I have modified two lines of content based on your code. You can try the effect of the following skin to understand the problem I encountered.

[Rainmeter]
DynamicWindowSize=1
AccurateText=1

[Variables]
MyVar=1

[MeasureMyVar]
Measure=Calc
Formula=#MyVar#
IfCondition=(#CURRENTSECTION#=0)
IfTrueAction=[!SetOption MeasureWindowsVersion RegKey "Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion"][!UpdateMeasure "MeasureWindowsVersion"]
IfFalseAction=[!SetOption MeasureWindowsVersion RegKey "Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion2"][!UpdateMeasure "MeasureWindowsVersion"]
DynamicVariables=1

[MeasureWindowsVersion]
Measure=Registry
RegValue=ProductName
IfMatch=0
IfMatchAction=[!SetOption MeterString FontColor "0,255,0"][!UpdateMeter "MeterString"][!Redraw]
IfNotMatchAction=[!SetOption MeterString FontColor "255,0,0"][!UpdateMeter "MeterString"][!Redraw]

[MeterString]
Meter=STRING
MeasureName=MeasureWindowsVersion
X=0
Y=0
Padding=15,5,15,5
FontColor=220,220,220
FontEffectColor=0,0,0
StringEffect=Shadow
SolidColor=0,0,0,150
FontSize=8
FontFace=Segoe UI
StringStyle=BOLD
StringAlign=LEFT
AntiAlias=1
Text=%1
DynamicVariables=1
LeftMouseUpAction=[!SetVariable MyVar "(1-#MyVar#)"][!UpdateMeasure "MeasureMyVar"]
Last edited by Lssg97 on November 27th, 2020, 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Lssg97 wrote: November 26th, 2020, 4:03 pm According to the user manual, if not specified "RegValue", the default value is retrieved. Every existing Key in the registry contains a default value, even if no value is set, it is existing in the registry . But if the content I want to retrieve does not have a corresponding Key in the registry, I will encounter the problem I have reported above.

I have modified two lines of content based on your code. You can try the effect of the following skin to understand the problem I encountered.
Yep, right. Unfortunatelly there probably is no solution for your problem, because if you're switching from an existent key to a non-existent, the Registry measure keeps returning the last valid value, so the last existing value. There are more such behaviours of Rainmeter in some circumstances.
This definitely isn't exactly the same question, but a similar question arose a while ago. Then brian (who is a developer) explained a few things about how things are working in Rainmeter, something similar should be the explanation here as well.
Lssg97

Post by Lssg97 »

balala wrote: November 26th, 2020, 4:29 pm This definitely isn't exactly the same question, but a similar question arose a while ago. Then brian (who is a developer) explained a few things about how things are working in Rainmeter, something similar should be the explanation here as well.
Okay, I got it. Maybe the truth is like what Brian said. It looks like Rainmeter treats non-existent registry keys as invalid inputs. I originally thought that Measure could return an empty string for a non-existent registry key, but it would be a pity if not.

Thanks again for your answers. :rosegift:
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Lssg97 wrote: November 26th, 2020, 5:17 pm Okay, I got it. Maybe the truth is like what Brian said. It looks like Rainmeter treats non-existent registry keys as invalid inputs. I originally thought that Measure could return an empty string for a non-existent registry key, but it would be a pity if not.

Thanks again for your answers. :rosegift:
I'm glad if you got an answer to your question, even if it's not exactly what have you expected.