It is currently December 3rd, 2020, 10:39 am

Suddenly jagged fonts - in, especially, Rainmeter [EDIT: seemingly NOT a Rainmeter bug after all]

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
jn_meter
Posts: 65
Joined: December 27th, 2016, 12:04 pm

Suddenly jagged fonts - in, especially, Rainmeter [EDIT: seemingly NOT a Rainmeter bug after all]

Post by jn_meter »

Just now I had reason to stare at one of my meters. I find that some of its fonts are jagged. I am pretty sure they have not always been like that. In the attached screenshot, see the text 'cpu'. EDIT: Something has gone wrong with my fonts across my whole PC or at least most of it. However, by doing various things, especially adjusting ClearType settings, just about everything is now looking alright again - except my Rainmeter skin. So, my problem here is, at least somewhat, specific to Rainmeter!

Here are things I have tried and that did not fix the problem

- Disabling anti-aliasing within the affected meters.
- Changing my Windows clearType settings.
- Ensuring I did not have two copies of the skin, one over the other, or two copies of the same meta.
- Switching from the current beta to the stable release.
- Restarting Rainmeter.
- Changing font (from the monospaced font Consolas to the monospaced font Droid Sans Mono).
- Examined my meter settings to see whether anything is wrong. Here is the relevant code:[/list]

Code: Select all

font=Consolas
font_forValues=Consolas
fontSize_meter=16

[style_label]
AntiAlias=1
ClipString=1
FontColor=#col_font#
FontFace=#font#
FontSize=#fontSize_meter#
H=30
SolidColor=#col_transparent#
StringAlign=LEFT
StringCase=NONE
StringEffect=NONE

[meter_cpu_value_cpuTemp]
DynamicVariables=1
MeasureName=measure_coresTemp
Meter=String
MeterStyle=style_value
NumOfDecimals=0
Text=%1°
ToolTipIcon=info
ToolTipText=[measure_coresTemp:1]°
ToolTipTitle=CPU temperature
ToolTipType=0
X=70r
Y=#y_pos#
I edit my skin file is Sublime Text and the file has this encoding: UTF-16 LE.

The fonts displayed elsewhere on my computer and indeed in the rest of the skin and in others skins seem OK.
EDIT: actually, no, I seem to have distorted fonts in a few places outside of Rainmeter. So seemingly in fact this is not a Rainmeter problem . .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by jn_meter on November 16th, 2020, 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jn_meter
Posts: 65
Joined: December 27th, 2016, 12:04 pm

Re: Suddenly jagged fonts - in, especially, Rainmeter

Post by jn_meter »

I see that in the screenshot I attached the font looked just about alright. And now, after much fiddling with Windows settings, I looks alright on the screen too - namely, as in the screenshot I attach to this message. So, seemingly: not a bug in Rainmeter at all.
Untitled.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Alex88
Posts: 56
Joined: July 18th, 2020, 1:23 am
Location: California

Re: Suddenly jagged fonts - in, especially, Rainmeter [EDIT: seemingly NOT a Rainmeter bug after all]

Post by Alex88 »

In case others run into the same thing, what Windows settings did you try? Most likely not the direct problem here, but for others, I believe the two Rainmeter settings that can affect text display quality would be Antialias=1 or 0 placed within a style or on a meter, or AccurateText=1 or 0 placed in the [Rainmeter] section.
Last edited by Alex88 on November 17th, 2020, 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
jn_meter
Posts: 65
Joined: December 27th, 2016, 12:04 pm

Re: Suddenly jagged fonts - in, especially, Rainmeter [EDIT: seemingly NOT a Rainmeter bug after all]

Post by jn_meter »

Hi Alex

I tried:

1) different options - there are many, and they are hard to document - within the Control Panel's ClearType Wizard;
2) I followed instructions on the web to clear the Windows font cache;
3) I found some setting in, I think the modern/metro/'immersive' 'settings' window that said something like 'reset fonts to default' (though it did not make clear what that meant).

I think it was step 1 that made the biggest and perhaps only difference, although part of the problem is simply that I paid more attention to Rainmeter's fonts and to font display elsewhere on the system. I mean: I think I had altered the ClearType settings; that had worsened the font rendering; and I think that by changing those settings I got the rendering back to what it was; but starting at the fonts made me realise that the rendering was never - for some font and colour and size combinations - that great.

I have Antialias=1 within the relevant meters already; and already I had AccurateText=1 in the [Rainmeter] Section. But, yes, it is helpful to tell/remind me people of that.