It is currently March 28th, 2024, 9:43 pm

[Not a bug!] WebParser options cannot be changed dynamically

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
JelleDekkers

[Not a bug!] WebParser options cannot be changed dynamically

Post by JelleDekkers »

The title says it all.

Take this skin for example:

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
AccurateText=1
DynamicWindowSize=1

BackgroundMode=2
SolidColor=0, 0, 0, 1

LeftMouseUpAction=[!SetOption mLatOrLon StringIndex 2] [!UpdateMeasure mLatOrLon] [!UpdateMeter *] [!Redraw]

[mWebParser]
Measure=WebParser

URL=https://ipapi.co/xml
RegExp=(?siU)<latitude>(.*)<\/latitude>.*<longitude>(.*)<\/longitude>
UpdateRate=-1

FinishAction=[!UpdateMeter *] [!Redraw]

[mLatOrLon]
Measure=WebParser

URL=[mWebParser]
StringIndex=1

[Meter]
Meter=String

Text=[mLatOrLon]

FontFace=Segoe UI
FontSize=(16*0.75)
FontColor=FFFFFF
AntiAlias=1

DynamicVariables=1
UpdateDivider=-1
That action and bang is supposed to change the latitude to the longitude when you left-click the skin. Instead, nothing happens. I've also tried using a variable and changing that and a section variable in the StringIndex option (both [Measure] and [&Measure]), but again, nothing.
Last edited by JelleDekkers on June 20th, 2020, 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: [Bug] WebParser options cannot be changed dynamically

Post by jsmorley »

"Child" WebParser measures are not independent measures. They are entirely controlled, and their data populated, by their "parent" WebParser measure.

So it does nothing to update a child measure, the measure isn't "asking" the parent measure what the value of a particular StringIndex is, the parent is reading the options on the child, and when the parent is updated itself, it populates the child measures appropriately.

So in short:

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=1000
AccurateText=1
DynamicWindowSize=1

BackgroundMode=2
SolidColor=0, 0, 0, 1

LeftMouseUpAction=[!SetOption mLatOrLon StringIndex 2][!CommandMeasure mWebParser "Update]

[mWebParser]
Measure=WebParser
URL=https://ipapi.co/xml
RegExp=(?siU)<latitude>(.*)<\/latitude>.*<longitude>(.*)<\/longitude>
UpdateRate=-1
FinishAction=[!UpdateMeter *] [!Redraw]

[mLatOrLon]
Measure=WebParser
URL=[mWebParser]
StringIndex=1

[Meter]
Meter=String
Text=[mLatOrLon]
FontFace=Segoe UI
FontSize=(16*0.75)
FontColor=FFFFFF
AntiAlias=1
DynamicVariables=1
UpdateDivider=-1
Works fine...
JelleDekkers

Post by JelleDekkers »

Ah, my bad. I forgot about that. It would make things so much easier if it were possible though :(
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

JelleDekkers wrote: June 20th, 2020, 1:11 pm Ah, my bad. I forgot about that. It would make things so much easier if it were possible though :(
It's just not possible though, and not even desirable. The beauty of the "parent / child" approach is that the child measures take almost zero resources, as they are never independently "updated". All the work is done by the relatively far fewer parent measures.

Think of the parent and all its many, many children as one single thing. a child measure is just part of the functionality of the parent.
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: [Not a bug!] WebParser options cannot be changed dynamically

Post by Yincognito »

JelleDekkers wrote: June 20th, 2020, 12:39 pm The title says it all.
[...]
That action and bang is supposed to change the latitude to the longitude when you left-click the skin. Instead, nothing happens. I've also tried using a variable and changing that and a section variable in the StringIndex option (both [Measure] and [&Measure]), but again, nothing.
To add to what jsmorley said, if you want to avoid needlessly polling the site again by using [!CommandMeasure mWebParser "Update] for every little change of a dynamic variable, you might want to store the affected info into String measures instead of WebParser ones. Personally, I use this method in both my feeds and weather skins, where the entire content over which I want to "iterate" using an index is stored in a String measure, where I can use dynamic variables freely without worrying that I might poll the site too often and get "unexpected" susprises.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth
JelleDekkers

Post by JelleDekkers »

Yincognito wrote: June 24th, 2020, 11:58 am To add to what jsmorley said, if you want to avoid needlessly polling the site again by using [!CommandMeasure mWebParser "Update] for every little change of a dynamic variable, you might want to store the affected info into String measures instead of WebParser ones. Personally, I use this method in both my feeds and weather skins, where the entire content over which I want to "iterate" using an index is stored in a String measure, where I can use dynamic variables freely without worrying that I might poll the site too often and get "unexpected" susprises.
I ended up just making two child measures and using nested variables to get my desired result :)
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Yincognito »

JelleDekkers wrote: June 24th, 2020, 4:30 pm I ended up just making two child measures and using nested variables to get my desired result :)
That's obviously valid as well, as long as it works. :thumbup:
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth