It is currently March 29th, 2024, 8:09 am

dwm.exe bug

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
KaaMeeHaaMee

dwm.exe bug

Post by KaaMeeHaaMee »

Rainmeter makes dwm.exe to consume too much gpu in winwer 1909(1803 or higher)!
I turned off ALL animations in windows...
if rainmeter skins at "topmost" and transparency is on than dwm.exe consumes the same ammount of gpu % as the total of other proccess:
all proccess except dwm >> 20% than dwm use 15-20% too, the total usage is 35-40%!

plz do something with the method of drawing... i tryed with hw acceleraion on and off... it is the same!
this bug is realy annoying when i watch video on that screen where rainmeter is used...

config:
i9 9900x
rtx 2080S as main card
gtx 1080 as secondary card(screen output not used, reserved for computation tasks)
64gb 3000 mhz ram
13 tb ssd pack:
4x2tb in raid0
4x1 tb in raid0
2x512gb nvme in pcie slots(mobo nvme socket not used), no raid

i have the performance... but i dont want to consume 200 watt for a video watching... forced energy save mode is good thing but with this bug i can see my rtx 2080S at 99% usage when clocks are these:
gpu: 645 mhz
vram 810 mhz (effective, 202 mhz real)
video clock 555 mhz
these clocks enough to watch a movie in 4k with SVP software and still remains enough spare perforamce to watch 2x 1440p video on youtube at the same time if no rainmeter used... i realy dont get it why rainmeter should doubles the gpu usage...
Yincognito
Rainmeter Sage

Re: dwm.exe bug

Post by Yincognito »

KaaMeeHaaMee wrote: June 2nd, 2020, 9:00 pm Rainmeter makes dwm.exe to consume too much gpu in winwer 1909(1803 or higher)!
I turned off ALL animations in windows...
if rainmeter skins at "topmost" and transparency is on than dwm.exe consumes the same ammount of gpu % as the total of other proccess:
all proccess except dwm >> 20% than dwm use 15-20% too, the total usage is 35-40%!

plz do something with the method of drawing... i tryed with hw acceleraion on and off... it is the same!
this bug is realy annoying when i watch video on that screen where rainmeter is used...

config:
i9 9900x
rtx 2080S as main card
gtx 1080 as secondary card(screen output not used, reserved for computation tasks)
64gb 3000 mhz ram
13 tb ssd pack:
4x2tb in raid0
4x1 tb in raid0
2x512gb nvme in pcie slots(mobo nvme socket not used), no raid

i have the performance... but i dont want to consume 200 watt for a video watching... forced energy save mode is good thing but with this bug i can see my rtx 2080S at 99% usage when clocks are these:
gpu: 645 mhz
vram 810 mhz (effective, 202 mhz real)
video clock 555 mhz
these clocks enough to watch a movie in 4k with SVP software and still remains enough spare perforamce to watch 2x 1440p video on youtube at the same time if no rainmeter used... i realy dont get it why rainmeter should doubles the gpu usage...
I actually wanted to post a report on this recently (Win10 1803 as well, but I'm not sure this is part of the problem). While not as serious as in your case (didn't get so high as 99%), Rainmeter uses significantly more CPU (since my GPU can't do hardware encoding as far as I know, so the CPU has to compensate through software encoding) when a video (especially flash videos or YT ones) or something video intensive is running at the same time. Roughly half of my Rainmeter skins (i.e. 8 of them) are staying topmost and are made using translucent (i.e. partially transparent) shapes. They are far from being CPU intensive on idle, reaching 0.4% CPU on average, but when those videos or other stuff start running, the usage suddenly jumps to anywhere between 3-5% to more. I don't think it's a huge issue, but I still find it odd that there is a correlation between the CPU/GPU usage of other processes and that of Rainmeter, in such a way that the latter becomes some sort of a "CPU/GPU usage multiplier". In my view, those usages should be relatively independent of one another.

Note: dwm.exe doesn't seem to cause that much trouble in my case though.
Profiles: Rainmeter ProfileDeviantArt ProfileSuites: MYiniMeterSkins: Earth