It is currently April 23rd, 2024, 3:41 pm

Extremely long strings being displayed in the log causes high cpu usage.

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Yamajac

Extremely long strings being displayed in the log causes high cpu usage.

Post by Yamajac »

You can see what I mean in this video. The [ParseSpring] measure has a string value that's about 43K characters long, and it causes extremely high cpu usage when the log is opened. It's really quite frustrating spending time optimizing a skin just to realize the log was the main culprit all along. It'd be nice if the log were able to handle long strings better.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Extremely long strings being displayed in the log causes high cpu usage.

Post by jsmorley »

We used to truncate the string values in the About / Skins panel to avoid exactly this, but found that it was preferable to contain the entire string, so it could be copied to the clipboard by the author, for analysis in a text editor and such. It's really not a great debugging tool if it doesn't display the entire string being returned by the measure.

If you have a 43kB string, it's indeed going to take some resources to refresh the About / Skins panel when that skin's values are being displayed. 43kB of text is a boatload of text, and the About / Skins panel is more or less "real time". I suggest... uhm... closing the panel when you are not actively debugging something.
Yamajac

Re: Extremely long strings being displayed in the log causes high cpu usage.

Post by Yamajac »

Would it be possible to have it truncate the string unless you're mousing over it or just grab the full string when you click copy? It's quite frustrating to me, but I'm probably the only person with strings that long constantly anyway.