It is currently April 25th, 2024, 6:18 am

[Suggestion] Add undocumented features about context actions

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Jeff

[Suggestion] Add undocumented features about context actions

Post by Jeff »

Today I found out there's a difference between Title and &Title, in which, one acts like the time you press ALT, and choose stuff that corresponds to a letter. Well... you can do that in Rainmeter too! And I found it by accidentally forgetting to add a space in Settings &Variables too!

I'm posting it here because it there is a difference between custom context actions without that, and custom context actions when adding &, not only that you can add it anywhere, and it also works with !SkinCustomMenu as well! (it was really hard to find this bang because it was not stated right next to context options)

In the image you can see what it's like when you don't have &, where Rainmeter decides choosing between options with the same starting leter, and with & included, it executes the first thing asigned to the leter from the custom actions it can find.

When you don't have &, pressing a leter that doesn't have any secondary option that for that leter will execute the action of the leter, this can be a bit confusing (as I was as well lol), on Windows 7 there is no underline for these actions (I don't know why) and I have no clue if there is on Windows 10.

Hope some kind of underline and a bit more to the documentation will be added (if needed that is)!
Jeff

Re: [Suggestion] Add undocumented features about context actions

Post by Jeff »

Huh, apparently IT'S documented, if you count finding a link to the forum in the User Interface > Context Menus > Skin context menus section, which is like going from the bathroom to the kitchen for some toilet paper
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/user-interface/context-menus/#SkinContextMenus
jsmorley
Developer

Re: [Suggestion] Add undocumented features about context actions

Post by jsmorley »

It was hard to write, it oughta be hard to use.

We don't document this since it is pretty close to useless. Obviously you can't use ALT to get to the context menu, that is about title bar menus, not context menus, so having a keyboard shortcut on a context menu you can only get to with the mouse feels kinda pointless. It works at all, and as it does, because that's just how Windows works, we didn't do it on purpose.

The way it works is that with or without the & in front, Windows will execute the context item that has the first letter you hit, unless there are two or more, in which case it will highlight them in order and you hit enter to execute. The & character just allows you to change the target letter from the first character to any one in the context string. It still works the same, if there is only one match, it is executed, if there are more than one, they are highlighted in turn.

The underline is a function of the "Ease of use" settings in Windows, not something we control in Rainmeter.