It is currently March 24th, 2019, 7:50 am

[BUG] Values in Variables.inc file keeps getting reset.

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
eXAKR

[BUG] Values in Variables.inc file keeps getting reset.

eXAKR » December 14th, 2018, 4:59 pm

Firstly. I think this may be related to this bug here: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=30008

Now, on to the problem I'm experiencing here: I'm preparing an update to my TenPlayer skin (https://www.deviantart.com/eonity/art/TenPlayer-for-Rainmeter-603973964), which includes a Variables.inc file. The file consists of the following:

Code: Select all

[Variables]
 PlayerName=""
 FirstRun=1
PlayerName is obviously to store the name of the interface to the NowPlaying measure, while FirstRun is set to 1 out of the box so my skin can detect whether it's been run before, and direct new users to choose an interface with the included Settings skin; doing this will cause this variable to be permanently set to 0.

I then created an .rmskin package for my skin, and dutifully remembered to specify it as my variables file in the .rmskin creator. However, when I decided to test the package by deleting the TenPlayer skin from my Rainmeter\Skins folder, and then installing it from the package, the FirstRun variable will get set to 0, and my skin fails to detect that it is being run for the first time.

I have double-checked that the Variables.inc file in my .rmskin package has the correct values before packaging, and I have also double-checked the file in the .rmskin package by opening it up using 7-Zip, and everything looks to be in order. However, when I install the skin, the value inevitably gets set to 0 upon installation. The only way to have the value properly set is to not specify any variables file when packaging the skin.

Given that there's another related bug, I suspect my problem here is a bug with Rainmeter itself as well. I'm on version 4.3.0.3266 beta here.

As for my skin, I may end up rewriting the entire skin to try and work around this issue, but this is something I don't wish to do as it could mean having to replace the Variables.inc file for my existing users as well.
eXAKR

Re: [BUG] Values in Variables.inc file keeps getting reset.

eXAKR » December 14th, 2018, 5:02 pm

Odd. I just tested this again and it seems like the bug has resolved itself. Could this be an intermittent bug?