It is currently April 19th, 2024, 1:38 am

[BUG?]Loaded config gets unloaded with log-out/restart.

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
ikarus1969

Re: [BUG?]Loaded config gets unloaded with log-out/restart.

Post by ikarus1969 »

I've made some tests.

First, with the original skins from kyriakos i can confirm the stramge behavior. I clicked on the "One" skin, the second skin became active. I checked the "Manage" / "Active Skins" -> the skin "Two is active. I logged off and on again and the skin "Two" isn't active anymore.

Then, and that's it: i removed the "!DeactiveConfig" bang from the skin "One". Why? Because the 2 skins are in the same directory and therefore they are "variants". With removing this bang skin "Two" remained active after logging off and on again.

Activating one variant deactivates an other active variant automatically

Maybe the unncecesary "!DeactiveConfig" bang caused this very late deactivation?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Hmm.. !DeactivateConfig is causing Active=0 to be set on the [BugExplorer] section in Rainmeter.ini.

I think this is due to the fact that !DeactivateConfig isn't needed at all. You can only have one .ini file in a given config folder loaded at once, so simply activating Two.ini will change Active=1 to Active=2.

So you are loading Two.ini, which sets Active=2, then you are using !DeactivatConfig, which sets Active=0, and yet Two.ini is still loaded. If you refresh Rainmeter, it will set Active=2 again, and all is well. If you restart Rainmeter, it starts with that Active=0 in effect, and nothing loads.

Get rid of the !DeactivateConfig, you don't need it.

Edit: Sorry ikarus1969, you beat me.
kyriakos876

Post by kyriakos876 »

ikarus1969 wrote:I've made some tests.

First, with the original skins from kyriakos i can confirm the stramge behavior. I clicked on the "One" skin, the second skin became active. I checked the "Manage" / "Active Skins" -> the skin "Two is active. I logged off and on again and the skin "Two" isn't active anymore.

Then, and that's it: i removed the "!DeactiveConfig" bang from the skin "One". Why? Because the 2 skins are in the same directory and therefore they are "variants". With removing this bang skin "Two" remained active after logging off and on again.

Activating one variant deactivates an other active variant automatically

Maybe the unncecesary "!DeactiveConfig" bang caused this very late deactivation?
In the skin I was using it for, the DeactivateConfig wasn't unnecessary. Nevertheless, if a skin says "loaded" no matter what, it should still be loaded after logging-off and logging-in, unless something else specifically changes that.
kyriakos876

Post by kyriakos876 »

Same reply for Jsmorley.
ikarus1969

Post by ikarus1969 »

So maybe just the popup in the manage-dialog doesn't gets updated immediately after the "!DeactivateConfig" bang.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

kyriakos876 wrote:In the skin I was using it for, the DeactivateConfig wasn't unnecessary. Nevertheless, if a skin says "loaded" no matter what, it should still be loaded after logging-off and logging-in, unless something else specifically changes that.
Yeah, there is some timing issue concerning when the change in the "Active" option in Rainmeter.ini that is written is "seen" by the application, but to be honest, I'm not going to lose any sleep over this. The logic of what you are doing doesn't make sense. You are activating a config and then immediately deactivating it, due to how "variants" work.
ikarus1969

Post by ikarus1969 »

kyriakos876 wrote:In the skin I was using it for, the DeactivateConfig wasn't unnecessary
So then you presented a situation which has nothing to do with you original problem?
Why was the "!DeactivateConfig" bang needed? The skin you were activating locates in another directory than the skin you are deactivating?
kyriakos876

Post by kyriakos876 »

Yea, I don't know what's up with the timing but I was doing this because I somehow got a "!ActivateConfig: "something" already active (Somethingelse.ini) error while using only [!ActivateConfig "something" "SomethingElse.ini"] so I added the [!Deactivate "Somethingelse2"] but now it works without the latter. I don't know... some kind of stroke occurred? :17flag
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Not sure, but as I said, this isn't going keep me up at night. Timing weirdness aside, what you are logically saying in One.ini is:

1) Activate Two.ini, this will automatically set Active=2, loading Two.ini and unloading One.ini
2) DeactivateConfg, this will set Active=0 on the config, unloading One.ini.

In a perfect world, 2) should also actually unload Two.ini, which for some reason it doesn't, but unless you refresh, that Active=0 is there in Rainmeter.ini, and will be in effect if you restart. There is some disconnect in this particular case when that Active=0 is written to Rainmeter.ini, and when it overrides the Active=2 that was set in memory.

The logical course of events is:
Active=1
Active=2
Active=0

In any case, if we track down and fix this, it only makes the example skin you posted work exactly as you don't intend anyway.
kyriakos876

Post by kyriakos876 »

I got it... It was my bad in the first place, I just thought I did something wrong when I got that "!ActivateConfig: "something" already active (Somethingelse.ini) on the log, so I assumed first thing, that the other one wasn't being automatically deactivated (I'm not a developer so I can only assume. I can't know by-heart how things works, sometimes I get skeptical even with whether it's X=1 or X==1 if you know what I mean.). I don't even know what happened and how I got that error in the first place... I can't even recreate it now. ANYWAYYYS. Pardon me. :bow: