It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:08 pm

Startup Crash Reason

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Yemble

Startup Crash Reason

Post by Yemble »

I don't know if this is common knowledge here, but I have assertained that Rainmeter will crash at startup IF the Internet connection is defined to be via a proxy requiring auth, for example in a corporate environment. The issue is with the Check For Updates function which fails catastrophically if there is no authorised path through the proxy.

IMHO, this is a bug. Rainmeter should not crash in this circumstance, it should just decline to perform the update check.

I wasted several hours fathoming this one out !
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Startup Crash Reason

Post by jsmorley »

We will take a look at this. Thanks for reporting!

Of course, in the meantime, you can turn off the update checking.
Noesis

Post by Noesis »

I wouldn't mind betting that this was also the cause of an issue I had where rainmeter would crash if the internet connection was down, here: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=27557&p=145806#p145806.

I suspected the only reason my issue would happen is because it was trying to connect to the internet on startup, in a different way to how it did so to update any skins, once it had started running, but I totally forgot about the check for updates on startup setting.

If i'd have disabled that setting, my guess is the problem wouldn't have occurred, however like Yemble, I would also consider this a bug and the "disable the setting solution" is more a workaround.
Yemble

Post by Yemble »

jsmorley wrote:We will take a look at this. Thanks for reporting!

Of course, in the meantime, you can turn off the update checking.
A bit more info...

To get Internet access on my work laptop, I have to run Firefox in a different user context to the one that I am logged onto the domain with. So the proxy will refuse all Internet access to my normal logged on account, which is the one that Rainmeter is running under.

Granted, this is a bit of an unusual set of circumstances, but it does appear to have uncovered a bug.

Apologies for reporting this in the "wrong" thread, but I am new to both Rainmeter and this forum :?