It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:01 pm

Rainmeter-Wallpaper Project

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
nakamoto0

Rainmeter-Wallpaper Project

Post by nakamoto0 »

Hello everyone, I am a big fan of Rainmeter, and I am an old programmer, I used Rainmeter many years and I love it.
But I found Rainmeter has a little issue about easy to use, especially for new users like my sister.
And Rainmeter's file format is too old, which limits its development and dissemination, I think the JSON is more popular and easy to use.
And many awesome Rainmeter Theme/Suite is cool, but it is not easily for normal/new users to configure it.
So I had start a project to improve it one year, my idea is make a tools to import Rainmeter's Theme/Suite to a single wallpaper
I will continue write and report this post....
:17nodding
Bekarfel

Re: Rainmeter-Wallpaper Project

Post by Bekarfel »

Before committing yourself to a large undertaking, what is the benefit to the user? You say JSON is easy to use, but how is .INI limited that JSON is not? They both appear to me to be human readable, plain language coding formats.

Personally I have not been able to learn any programming languages, including Rainmeter's LUA, despite attempts to do so. However I find the rainmeter schema to be quite clear and understandable, and with liberal application of eyeball grease and RTFM I've been able to modify many existing skins to suit my own purposes.
On the other hand, JSON looks like a :17angry show when it comes to formatting and syntax, everything except numbers has to be double quoted, colons need to separate keys and values, and everything else needs to be separated by commas.
One final thing I noted in my research for this disagreement, JSON has no provision for comment.

If you want to make things easier to create and edit in Rainmeter, I'd suggest go the path of Samurize and create a WYSIWYG editor. :17oops
moshi wrote:there are many Rainmeter skins that aren't really useful, so let's add another one.
jsmorley wrote:I have good news and bad news.
First the bad news. [...] We would be happy to have this happen and would love to work with anyone who is feeling ambitious.
Now the good news.
I lied, there isn't any good news...
nakamoto0

Re: Rainmeter-Wallpaper Project

Post by nakamoto0 »

Yes, I am creating a WYSIWYG editor for Rainmeter, Do you need it ? :D
designer_.jpg
Bekarfel wrote:Before committing yourself to a large undertaking, what is the benefit to the user? You say JSON is easy to use, but how is .INI limited that JSON is not? They both appear to me to be human readable, plain language coding formats.

Personally I have not been able to learn any programming languages, including Rainmeter's LUA, despite attempts to do so. However I find the rainmeter schema to be quite clear and understandable, and with liberal application of eyeball grease and RTFM I've been able to modify many existing skins to suit my own purposes.
On the other hand, JSON looks like a :17angry show when it comes to formatting and syntax, everything except numbers has to be double quoted, colons need to separate keys and values, and everything else needs to be separated by commas.
One final thing I noted in my research for this disagreement, JSON has no provision for comment.

If you want to make things easier to create and edit in Rainmeter, I'd suggest go the path of Samurize and create a WYSIWYG editor. :17oops
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.