It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:46 pm

Rainmeter application lags / becomes unresponsive if there is an internet connection.

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
BinaryByte

Rainmeter application lags / becomes unresponsive if there is an internet connection.

Post by BinaryByte »

So this bug recently started happening out of the blue.

I opened rainmeter, only to find that the rainmeter application was being extremely slow / laggy. Not only are the skins lagging, but the options window lags, right clicking / clicking on a skin takes about 4 seconds for it to process the click, dragging the settings window around just snaps it 4 pixels at a time, etc.

This occurs even when there are no skins loaded. If I disconnect from my internet connection, rainmeter suddenly speeds back up.

A few side notes:
-I have update checking disabled
-No I don't have a firewall causing problems with rainmeter
-This occurs with both the beta and final release of rainmeter

PC information :
Running windows 7 pro 64 bit
Intel i3 quad core processor with 4GB of ram

I am using a tethered internet connection from my android device, I don't know if that could be causing any weird hiccups in rainmeter.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Rainmeter application lags / becomes unresponsive if there is an internet connection.

Post by jsmorley »

BinaryByte wrote:So this bug recently started happening out of the blue.

I opened rainmeter, only to find that the rainmeter application was being extremely slow / laggy. Not only are the skins lagging, but the options window lags, right clicking / clicking on a skin takes about 4 seconds for it to process the click, dragging the settings window around just snaps it 4 pixels at a time, etc.

This occurs even when there are no skins loaded. If I disconnect from my internet connection, rainmeter suddenly speeds back up.

A few side notes:
-I have update checking disabled
-No I don't have a firewall causing problems with rainmeter
-This occurs with both the beta and final release of rainmeter

I am using a tethered internet connection from my android device, I don't know if that could be causing any weird hiccups in rainmeter.
There is a long-standing and known issue with network connections that are based on USB ports. I suspect this is related. This has been examined several times, and we are just unable to resolve it, mostly cause none of the developers have any way to test it.
BinaryByte

Re: Rainmeter application lags / becomes unresponsive if there is an internet connection.

Post by BinaryByte »

jsmorley wrote:There is a long-standing and known issue with network connections that are based on USB ports. I suspect this is related. This has been examined several times, and we are just unable to resolve it, mostly cause none of the developers have any way to test it.
I might be a bit of help with that.

Have one of the developers install this app on their android tablet (has to be a tablet) :
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.mkdev.usbtethering2&hl=en

Open the app, click "run tethering", and a the android settings application will open to the tethering page. Turn on tethering once it is connected to a PC via usb. Then, simply connect to a wifi network from the tablet.
BinaryByte

Post by BinaryByte »

Found this workaround for now, still would be great if this bug were fixed. :)

https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=6699