It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:19 am

Rainmeter 4.1 r2989 Crashing on Startup if Internet Down

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Noesis

Rainmeter 4.1 r2989 Crashing on Startup if Internet Down

Post by Noesis »

Hi guys, figured I'd report this, since I've had a couple of internet connectivity issues in the last couple of days and noticed this odd behavior from Rainmeter.

Basically if Rainmeter tries to start when I'm connected to my router (Wifi, but may happen regardless of router connection method) but the router can't connect to the internet, it immediately crashes.

If I disconnect the computer from the router while router Internet connection is down and start Rainmeter or when the router can connect to the internet (with computer connected to router), there is no problem starting Rainmeter.

Also once Rainmeter has started the Internet connection can proceed to go down without issue, it only crashes, on starting when there isn't an internet connection available from the router and the computer is also connected to the router.

Re-Install didn't help, and while there is a workaround to get it started, Figure you guys would like to know.
tjhrulz
Developer

Re: Rainmeter 4.1 r2989 Crashing on Startup if Internet Down

Post by tjhrulz »

Noesis wrote:Hi guys, figured I'd report this, since I've had a couple of internet connectivity issues in the last couple of days and noticed this odd behavior from Rainmeter.

Basically if Rainmeter tries to start when I'm connected to my router (Wifi, but may happen regardless of router connection method) but the router can't connect to the internet, it immediately crashes.

If I disconnect the computer from the router while router Internet connection is down and start Rainmeter or when the router can connect to the internet (with computer connected to router), there is no problem starting Rainmeter.

Also once Rainmeter has started the Internet connection can proceed to go down without issue, it only crashes, on starting when there isn't an internet connection available from the router and the computer is also connected to the router.

Re-Install didn't help, and while there is a workaround to get it started, Figure you guys would like to know.

Hmmm what skins are you using? Because it could be either a official or a third party plugin causing the crash. (Please don't be one of mine :oops:)
Noesis

Post by Noesis »

tjhrulz wrote:Hmmm what skins are you using? Because it could be either a official or a third party plugin causing the crash. (Please don't be one of mine :oops:)
You're safe, I actually doubt it's skin related, but it could be.

There's only one skin which does anything via internet, and it's essentially just a custom modded illustro Network skin. Modded in that it uses HwInfo for some stuff and the only field it needs a connection for is the WAN IP, which is done in the exact manner of the latest default Illustro network skin.

I'll have to try to test out if disabling this skin helps when I next get connection problems, but due to the nature of this issue, it's kind of hard to reproduce without my ISP's connection acting up in the first place. But thanks anyway.
tjhrulz
Developer

Post by tjhrulz »

Does it only happen when your internet goes out or if you try to manually unplug it/disconnect from it can you get it to crash?
Noesis

Post by Noesis »

Sorry didn't see this response,

Anyway, manually disconnecting from the internet doesn't cause a crash, it only happens when everything should be working but internet isn't available due to the router->ISP connection.

The workaround to start rainmeter without it crashing is to actually disconnect the computer from the router, start rainmeter, then once it's started it won't crash, even if you connect to the router while this issue is happening, it will continue to work once started.

I suppose disconnecting the router connection to the ISP might theoretically work, but I haven't tried it, and I also have my doubts, as I'd tend to think this could result in the router identifying that it's not actually plugged into something, or that a completely dead signal is different to a live but faulty one.

FYI: The issue for the ISP connection here has been fixed (hopefully), it was likely caused by a rusted connector in the outdoor box connecting the house to ISP, which has been replaced.

Finally this issue IMO,is likely caused by the same thing causing this one.https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=28069