It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:45 pm

Rainmeter 4.1 crashing after windows update

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Rainmeter 4.1 crashing after windows update

Post by jsmorley »

One other thing I might suggest is:

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

Get this and either install it or run it "portable". This is a VERY robust tool for checking and correcting issues with Windows.
wrlxs

Post by wrlxs »

jsmorley wrote:The portable install will be entirely self-contained in the installation folder, and won't use any of your personal folders like Documents or AppData.
That's not what it is doing though. Upon deleting rainmeter.ini from the portable installation it recreates it in the appdata/rainmeter folder.

I tested this on two different computers.
jsmorley wrote:One other thing I might suggest is:

http://www.tweaking.com/content/page/windows_repair_all_in_one.html

Get this and either install it or run it "portable". This is a VERY robust tool for checking and correcting issues with Windows.
I'm certain that it is not a windows install issue as I've reinstalled it a couple of days ago. But I'll bookmark the page for later use, thanks!
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Not sure what to tell you. I'm quite certain it is something that is amiss with your system, as we have over half a million others who have downloaded and are using Rainmeter with no issue on Windows 7, 8 and 10.

I would be tempted to to first run an extensive search for virus and/or malware issues, then run a repair install of Windows over top of your existing installation. I would also download and install the latest drivers for my video card. If all that failed, I personally would back up my data, nuke Windows and do a clean "bare metal" install. This problem with Rainmeter is a "symptom", I just can't for sure tell you of what...
wrlxs

Post by wrlxs »

jsmorley wrote:Not sure what to tell you. I'm quite certain it is something that is amiss with your system, as we have over half a million others who have downloaded and are using Rainmeter with no issue on Windows 7, 8 and 10.

I would be tempted to to first run an extensive search for virus and/or malware issues, then run a repair install of Windows over top of your existing installation. I would also download and install the latest drivers for my video card. If all that failed, I personally would back up my data, nuke Windows and do a clean "bare metal" install. This problem with Rainmeter is a "symptom", I just can't for sure tell you of what...
I fixed it. I almost can't believe it.

I somehow managed to install a really old driver for my graphics card. I updated it and it worked.

Whoops.

Anyway, thanks for your help!
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

wrlxs wrote:I fixed it. I almost can't believe it.

I somehow managed to install a really old driver for my graphics card. I updated it and it worked.

Whoops.

Anyway, thanks for your help!
My pleasure...
tjhrulz
Developer

Post by tjhrulz »

jsmorley wrote:as we have over half a million others who have downloaded and are using Rainmeter with no issue on Windows 7, 8 and 10.
I mean that's way underestimating it, we probably have more downloads than that for the 4.1 final alone. :p