It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:16 pm

Rainmeter making a windows sound every 20-40 minutes

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Dasky14

Rainmeter making a windows sound every 20-40 minutes

Post by Dasky14 »

Every 20-40 minutes, my Rainmeter.exe plays the Windows Message Nudge.wav sound for no reason. I've tried deleting every single skin I have and it changes nothing. Muting the .exe in audio mixer isn't a solution because that would disable audio visualizers.

Last edited by Dasky14 on November 22nd, 2017, 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Rainmeter making a windows sound every 20-40 minutes

Post by jsmorley »

I kinda resist that Rainmeter in and of itself is triggering that wav file.

What I would do is use exit Rainmeter and use file explorer to go to the folder:

%AppData%\Rainmeter

C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\Rainmeter

Then rename the file Rainmeter.ini to Rainmeter.ini.bak or something (Assuming you want to save your current setup. If not, just delete it.)

Then start Rainmeter. It will load with a new default Rainmeter.ini, with just the illustro skins loaded.

Wait and see if you get the wav file playing. I suspect not.

Then you can unload the illustro skins are start loading the skins you have created or downloaded one at a time, until you find the one that is causing the sound.

Then we can explore that skin to see if we can spot what is going on.
Dasky14

Post by Dasky14 »

I just got the sound again, and looks like it happens exactly every hour, not 20-40 minutes.

I will test what happens both if I change my system time, and by waiting, and try out your suggestions.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Lemmie know... There is nothing in Rainmeter in and of itself can should, or even can, cause Windows to play that wav file, which has to do with Windows Messaging, and is not some kind of general purpose error or warning sound.
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

I think the issue is caused by a skin which is set to play a .wav file at that interval and the appropriate .wav file is missing. Probably it was deleted accidentally, important is that it's missing. In such cases Rainmeter will play a default sound, probably the mentioned one.
Following jsmorley's recommendations will reveal which skin is guilty for this.
Dasky14

Post by Dasky14 »

I've found the culprit. I enabled parts of the "Gadgets" skin, and the Digital Clock.ini seems to be causing the small sound every time the system time hits ?:00.

Here is the skin. https://silverazide.deviantart.com/art/Gadgets-3-0-1-522574269

EDIT: And no, this is not an "error" sound, it specifically wants to open this file for some reason.

EDIT2: For some reason this clock skin has a second hidden settings menu, which has an "Enable Chime" set to play that file every 3600 seconds. I have no idea why this would be enabled by default. So, problem solved, thanks for the troubleshooting help. :)
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Dasky14 wrote:I've found the culprit. I enabled parts of the "Gadgets" skin, and the Digital Clock.ini seems to be causing the small sound every time the system time hits ?:00.

Here is the skin. https://silverazide.deviantart.com/art/Gadgets-3-0-1-522574269

EDIT: And no, this is not an "error" sound, it specifically wants to open this file for some reason.

EDIT2: For some reason this clock skin has a second hidden settings menu, which has an "Enable Chime" set to play that file every 3600 seconds. I have no idea why this would be enabled by default. So, problem solved, thanks for the troubleshooting help. :)
Glad to help!
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

So this is all SilverAzide's fault.

I thought so from the beginning! He is a notorious troublemaker... ;-)
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Dasky14 wrote:For some reason this clock skin has a second hidden settings menu, which has an "Enable Chime" set to play that file every 3600 seconds. I have no idea why this would be enabled by default.
I wouldn't exactly call the setting menu "hidden" since there is an option for opening it, but the chime is enabled by default because the original addgadgets.com clock the skin is patterned after had enabled a similar chime feature by default as well. Sorry for the confusion!
jsmorley wrote:So this is all SilverAzide's fault. I thought so from the beginning! He is a notorious troublemaker...
...and there's that, too, LOL! :D