It is currently March 28th, 2024, 12:03 pm

iTunes 12.7 not working properly with NowPlaying plugin

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
eXAKR

iTunes 12.7 not working properly with NowPlaying plugin

Post by eXAKR »

Just recently updated iTunes to version 12.7 here, and I'm having issues with getting iTunes to work properly with the NowPlaying plugin. Track names don't update, some of the controls don't seem to work properly, and the "iTunes scripting interface" warning pops up whenever I quit iTunes with a Rainmeter skin using NowPlaying open.

Using the latest beta version of Rainmeter here.
Brian
Developer

Re: iTunes 12.7 not working properly with NowPlaying plugin

Post by Brian »

We are aware with the problems with iTunes 12.7. Apparently Apple has overhauled parts of their API and took out some of the 'events' that Rainmeter (and lots of other programs) used to gather information from. This might have been an oversight from Apple, or perhaps not - it is unclear. There has been significant backlash over this in the iTunes developer community and we are hoping that Apple will fix it.

If not, we are prepared with a work-around but are still evaluating the likelihood of an Apple fix. Stay tuned.

-Brian
tjhrulz
Developer

Post by tjhrulz »

Yeah Brian is dead on here, and it is increasingly looking like this was an accident on Apple's part as even native iTunes features like play count and last played is broken in 12.7 which sounds eerily similar to the COM events being removed. With any luck Apple will just revert these changes because it was accidental or because of public backlash, but knowing Apple probably not.

Edit: The most recent version of the fix is in the Rainmeter 4.2 Beta which is what should be used if using iTunes or NowPlaying
Last edited by tjhrulz on March 6th, 2018, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eXAKR

Post by eXAKR »

Any updates about this?

And yes, I know Apple has quietly released iTunes 12.6.3 with the App Store intact, but I'm not sure if it brings back support for Rainmeter's NowPlaying plugin as well. Besides, I will have to rebuild my iTunes library, something I'm reluctant to do.
tjhrulz
Developer

Post by tjhrulz »

Rainmeter 4.1 RC3 just went live and includes this bugfix.

Edit: Further bug fixing is done in the Rainmeter 4.2 beta
Last edited by tjhrulz on March 6th, 2018, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nmdelrio

Post by nmdelrio »

Great work, Rainmeter Team.

Thank you very much :D
Chris69

Post by Chris69 »

Hey Guys !
I am using rainmeter 4.1 Final Release - r2989 and today i installed itunes 12.7 after installation rainmeter crashes .I tried to downgrade itunes to 12.6 but it dont let me ,coz the library is from a newer version 12.7 .Can you help me or any idea how to fix this?

tyvm
tjhrulz
Developer

Post by tjhrulz »

Chris69 wrote:Hey Guys !
I am using rainmeter 4.1 Final Release - r2989 and today i installed itunes 12.7 after installation rainmeter crashes .I tried to downgrade itunes to 12.6 but it dont let me ,coz the library is from a newer version 12.7 .Can you help me or any idea how to fix this?

tyvm
Found the issue while rewriting some sections, fix should be included in the next release.
Gregory2001

Post by Gregory2001 »

Also, when using Shuffle on iTunes, the album cover doesn't change if the artist is the same as the previous song.
Gregory2001

Post by Gregory2001 »

The progress bar also is not working now. Thanks.