It is currently March 29th, 2024, 5:21 am

[Request] Prompt to save layout for any change

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
iieeann

[Request] Prompt to save layout for any change

Post by iieeann »

Hi, I am new to Rainmeter. I have same laptop using at 3 locations with different multi monitor setup, so the layout option is useful to me to switch from 1 to another. However, if i forgot to save the layout after setup/customization and switch to another layout (or even click on current layout), all the changes made are gone.
The feature to prompt for saving the change could be very useful.

Thanks and regards.
Laptop : Dell Precision 7720, E3-1535M v6, P5000, 8TB SSD. Windows 10.21H1
jsmorley
Developer

Re: [Request] Prompt to save layout for any change

Post by jsmorley »

That can never happen. Rainmeter has no way of knowing, and doesn't care, that any Layout was loaded. You are not currently running some Layout. You are just operating with the current state of the Rainmeter.ini config file.

All the Layout saving process does is make a copy of your current Rainmeter.ini, and loading a Layout simply copies that over and makes it current. Once the Rainmeter.ini is copied over and Rainmeter is refreshed, it has no way to know that you haven't ALWAYS been running that exact Rainmeter.ini.
I'm sorry to differ with you sir, but you are the caretaker. You've always been the caretaker. I should know sir. I've always been here.
There is no way for Rainmeter to know that any Layout you load isn't exactly the same, or completely different, from your current Rainmeter.ini. A Layout isn't a "thing" in the sense you are suggesting. You are not currently using some particular Layout, that concept doesn't exist.

P.S. When you load a Layout, your current setup is always saved as a Layout called @Backup. It's not at all gone, and can immediately be loaded again if you forget to save it under the correct name.