It is currently March 19th, 2024, 4:07 am

[Request] Temporary all skin hide?

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
superluig164

[Request] Temporary all skin hide?

Post by superluig164 »

Would it be possible to add a menu option in the Rainmeter menu to simply hide (not unload) all skins for an amount of time or until the user clicks the button again?
Soldiershak

Re: [Request] Temporary all skin hide?

Post by Soldiershak »

Seems like a good idea
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

I'm not sure I see a graceful way to do this that makes sense to me.

If we are going to add an item to the Rainmeter context menu, something like "toggle all skins" or whatever, I think you can get there, with pretty much the same amount of mouse clicking, by:

Setting up a Layout, call it "Blank" or whatever you like. When you create it, just check the box "Save as an empty layout".

Be sure that you have your normal setup saved as a Layout as well of course. Call that "Normal" or whatever you like.

Now you can easily toggle between them from the context menu, Simply going to "Layouts" and choosing one or the other.

I don't think a "timed" hide of all skins makes a lot of sense to me, and something that you toggle with a context menu item can, in my view, be done with Layouts.
superluig164

Post by superluig164 »

The problem with your method (which I use) is that it unloads all my skins. I would like a button that just hides them (the same you can do with mouseover) instead of unloading them. Some of the skins I use either take some time to load up, or they require some initialization after a reload, which I do not want to have to do again just because I wanted to watch a YouTube video full screen (I have some overlays) or do a screen recording. It would be graceful, just to have them all fade out temporarily, and fade back in later.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

You could probably achieve this using the !ToggleGroup bangs. !ToggleGroup MyGroupName
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual-beta/bangs/#ShowHideToggleGroup

Obviously the skin you would be using to 'drive' this action should not be in the 'group' as you could never show it once it was hidden. So basically you could make a nearly transparent skin that sits somewhere on your desktop (maybe in a corner?), that when clicked will either hide or show all the skins in the group.

-Brian
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Fair enough. To be honest, though I'm not entirely opposed to this, I doubt we would implement it. Having a way for users, particularly new users, to just "hide" all skins and then forget they did it, or forget how to get them back, doesn't feel like a great idea to me.

What I would be tempted to do given your needs, would take just a bit of setup, but not rocket science.

1) Create a simple skin, in it just have

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=-1
OnRefreshAction=[!Move "0" "0"]

[MeterToggle]
Meter=Image
W=2
H=2
SolidColor=0,0,0,1
MouseOverAction=[!ToggleFadeGroup "MySkins"]
2) Then using "Edit Settings" from the context menu, edit Rainmeter.ini. Under each config [SectionName] add an entry:

Group=MySkins

Do this for all skins you use EXCEPT this new one above... It's "invisible" anyway, and is just a tiny "hotspot" in the top left corner of your screen.

3) Now just move your mouse to the upper left corner of your screen, and all skins will "hide", move back there whenever you want, and they "show".

Edit: Like Brian said... ;-)
superluig164

Post by superluig164 »

Nice, this works perfectly. I still think it might be a nice, convenient thing to have in the context menu, but for now this works perfectly. Thank you!

I've set mine up to work on click, so I don't accidentally hide everything.
fonpaolo

Post by fonpaolo »

I know I'm late, I also, had a similar "problem".
I solved it, adding StartHidden=1 to all the skins I don't want to be displayed at startup, in Rainmeter.ini.
Then, a button will simply show them, when needed.
Deepend

Post by Deepend »

jsmorley wrote: August 22nd, 2017, 3:23 am Fair enough. To be honest, though I'm not entirely opposed to this, I doubt we would implement it. Having a way for users, particularly new users, to just "hide" all skins and then forget they did it, or forget how to get them back, doesn't feel like a great idea to me.

What I would be tempted to do given your needs, would take just a bit of setup, but not rocket science.

1) Create a simple skin, in it just have

Code: Select all

[Rainmeter]
Update=-1
OnRefreshAction=[!Move "0" "0"]

[MeterToggle]
Meter=Image
W=2
H=2
SolidColor=0,0,0,1
MouseOverAction=[!ToggleFadeGroup "MySkins"]
2) Then using "Edit Settings" from the context menu, edit Rainmeter.ini. Under each config [SectionName] add an entry:

Group=MySkins

Do this for all skins you use EXCEPT this new one above... It's "invisible" anyway, and is just a tiny "hotspot" in the top left corner of your screen.

3) Now just move your mouse to the upper left corner of your screen, and all skins will "hide", move back there whenever you want, and they "show".

Edit: Like Brian said... ;-)
Very nice! Perfect.
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

I know this is an older post, but if you come across it in a search of "Hide skins", I thought I would added a link to a package that provides several ways to do just that: Hide All Skins/Show All Skins.

Have look at "Make It Rain"meter :welcome: