It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:47 am

Rainmeter for Android project

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
andystark

Rainmeter for Android project

Post by andystark »

Hello everyone, I want to start a project of Rainmeter for Android, Is there any advice? :)
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Rainmeter for Android project

Post by jsmorley »

andystark wrote:Hello everyone, I want to start a project of Rainmeter for Android, Is there any advice? :)
Just have fun. Do be aware that not one line of code or functionality in Rainmeter will port to Android, and that 90% of what Rainmeter does will either not exist in Android or will take "root" access to get at.

Good luck, post the .apk here when you have it working!
andystark

Post by andystark »

jsmorley wrote:Just have fun. Do be aware that not one line of code or functionality in Rainmeter will port to Android, and that 90% of what Rainmeter does will either not exist in Android or will take "root" access to get at.

Good luck, post the .apk here when you have it working!

I will not port from any windows version code, I plan to use java rewrite it.
I think the first beta version might have these features:
- support part of the Measures (no root), etc: CPU, Memory , Time, Weather(WebParase)
- support part of the Meters, etc: String, Image, Bitmap, Bar, Line, Shape, Roundline, Rotator
- support Lua script run on Android
- supoort a skin creator on Windows with a visual interface. and you can send skin to your android phone to preview skin with WIFI.
- Support video wallpaper

Graphics rendering model I plan to use OpenGL, then we can uses GPU hardware acceleration to reduce CPU and battery usage , increase the efficiency of drawing ;-)
Last edited by andystark on August 14th, 2017, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
theAzack9
Developer

Post by theAzack9 »

While it would be wonderful to have rainmeter be crossplatform, would it in fact be impossible for such a thing to exist. It would be close to impossible to keep all the skins that currently exist in Rainmeter work on all platforms, this is just because of the way Rainmeter was designed. A lot of skins are dependent on plugins and most of the plugins are dependent on being on windows, so rewriting Rainmeter is essentially the easy part, but to make every skin work crossplatform would you have to rewrite every single plugin to make it work.

Since making the huge backload of skins work crossplatform is out of the question, let us assume that it would be acceptable to just ignore every skin that exists and say that everyone would have to just "make a new skin" for phone. While this would certainly work it would be smarter to just make a better designed way of creating skins. (creating skins on your phone would be weird if you had to type the text like you do in skins, most of these kinds of applications use a visual interface) So at this point would it probably be smarter to just make it a separate program.

I hope this didn't crush all the hopes and dreams, but it is certainly a thing i've thought a lot about and i've come to understand that Rainmeter simply isn't a program meant for a platform other than Windows. If you can prove my theories wrong, then go ahead and surprise me, since if you could actually find a way to do this it would certainly make me happy :)
andystark

Post by andystark »

theAzack9 wrote:While it would be wonderful to have rainmeter be crossplatform, would it in fact be impossible for such a thing to exist. It would be close to impossible to keep all the skins that currently exist in Rainmeter work on all platforms, this is just because of the way Rainmeter was designed. A lot of skins are dependent on plugins and most of the plugins are dependent on being on windows, so rewriting Rainmeter is essentially the easy part, but to make every skin work crossplatform would you have to rewrite every single plugin to make it work.

Since making the huge backload of skins work crossplatform is out of the question, let us assume that it would be acceptable to just ignore every skin that exists and say that everyone would have to just "make a new skin" for phone. While this would certainly work it would be smarter to just make a better designed way of creating skins. (creating skins on your phone would be weird if you had to type the text like you do in skins, most of these kinds of applications use a visual interface) So at this point would it probably be smarter to just make it a separate program.

I hope this didn't crush all the hopes and dreams, but it is certainly a thing i've thought a lot about and i've come to understand that Rainmeter simply isn't a program meant for a platform other than Windows. If you can prove my theories wrong, then go ahead and surprise me, since if you could actually find a way to do this it would certainly make me happy :)

Thank you! You are right, maybe most of skin is Not suitable for use on Android phones ,because it uses some windows platform features, I think maybe we can make some change to make new skins more suitable for Android Phone,I had a plan, I think I can do it :)
andystark

Post by andystark »

Hi, I make a simple Rainmeter apk for android, it is an Android Launcher, it can load Rainmeter skin.ini and display String and Time now, I will add more function, anyone support me to continue develop it ? ;-)

The skin code :

Code: Select all

[TxtMeter]
Meter=String
MeasureName=MeasureTime
Text=%1

[MeasureTime]
Measure=Time
Format=%H:%M
Rainmeter on my android phone screenshort:
Screenshot_2017-08-29-14-59-42.png
Screenshot_2017-08-29-15-00-07-893.png
Hidden

Post by Hidden »

Can you give us the link please? :D
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

There will be no link, and there will be no Rainmeter for Android. It's a fool's errand, and simply can't be done in any practical way. If someone wants to create a clock "widget" for Android, and call it Rainmeter, that's up to them, but it won't in any way be Rainmeter.
Jeff

Post by Jeff »

KWGT FTW!
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Hidden wrote: January 20th, 2020, 9:39 pm Can you give us the link please? :D
jsmorley wrote: January 20th, 2020, 10:41 pm There will be no link, and there will be no Rainmeter for Android. It's a fool's errand, and simply can't be done in any practical way. If someone wants to create a clock "widget" for Android, and call it Rainmeter, that's up to them, but it won't in any way be Rainmeter.
Explained why Rainmeter can't work on Android here: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=26585#p138880