It is currently April 19th, 2024, 6:51 pm

NowPlaying Plugin Bug

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Nikero

NowPlaying Plugin Bug

Post by Nikero »

Hello!

I've been working on my own skins just to see what I was capable of, but when I started making an iTunes player skin, Rainmeter just locked up and froze every time I tried to load the skin. After deleting pieces of my skin until it worked, I reached the measure where I initialized the NowPlaying plugin player. To make sure this is what was causing the problem, I tried loading up another fully-made music player, and Rainmeter behaved the same way. I also notice that it says Rainmeter supports iTunes 10, but iTunes is up to version 12 now. ;)

Any help would be appreciated, but at the very least I hope I brought this to someone's attention.

Have a good one!
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Re: NowPlaying Plugin Bug

Post by balala »

Nikero wrote:I've been working on my own skins just to see what I was capable of, but when I started making an iTunes player skin, Rainmeter just locked up and froze every time I tried to load the skin. After deleting pieces of my skin until it worked, I reached the measure where I initialized the NowPlaying plugin player. To make sure this is what was causing the problem, I tried loading up another fully-made music player, and Rainmeter behaved the same way.
Not sure at all this is the cause of your issues, but check if you're running Rainmeter as administrator. Because I noticed a while ago that if you run it so, the NowPlaying plugin doesn't work well.
Definitely the issue can have many other causes, this is was just an idea. Not necessary a good one...
Nikero

Post by Nikero »

balala wrote:Not sure at all this is the cause of your issues, but check if you're running Rainmeter as administrator. Because I noticed a while ago that if you run it so, the NowPlaying plugin doesn't work well.
Definitely the issue can have many other causes, this is was just an idea. Not necessary a good one...
Huh! That actually did fix it, thank you!
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

A while ago we've discussed about a similar problem here and finally concluded that NowPlaying plugin doesn't work if Rainmeter is run as administrator, ONLY if you're using WMP. Then we didn't find troubles with other players, like Winamp, AIMP, Foobar2000 and so on, but I think iTunes wasn't tested (at least no one posted anything about this player). Maybe iTunes behaves same way as WMP in this question?
Bekarfel

Post by Bekarfel »

DON'T RUN RAINMETER AS ADMINISTRATOR

§%&±¶֎₴
moshi wrote:there are many Rainmeter skins that aren't really useful, so let's add another one.
jsmorley wrote:I have good news and bad news.
First the bad news. [...] We would be happy to have this happen and would love to work with anyone who is feeling ambitious.
Now the good news.
I lied, there isn't any good news...
balala
Rainmeter Sage

Post by balala »

Bekarfel wrote:DON'T RUN RAINMETER AS ADMINISTRATOR
Why? Probably running it as administrator isn't the best idea, but finally neither too problematic isn't. At least me don't see any real disadvantage.
Bekarfel

Post by Bekarfel »

Rainmeter doesn't perform any security checks on the data it receives, it doesn't perform prompting for potentially malicious scripting.

With Rainmeter you don't even need to write a malicious script. You just need some Bonzi Buddy/Cursor Mania/SexySmokinScreensaversGalore! software to try and capitalize on the fact that your rainmeter skins are unsecured. That software writes a little snippet into one of your existing skins that directs webparser to download the latest and greatest [insert O.O of the month here] and then runs it, and bonus points for guessing what context it's run as.

As an aside note, Windows Media Player doesn't communicate with processes that have elevated permissions because it's preventing itself from becoming an attack vector to the administrative part of your computer.
moshi wrote:there are many Rainmeter skins that aren't really useful, so let's add another one.
jsmorley wrote:I have good news and bad news.
First the bad news. [...] We would be happy to have this happen and would love to work with anyone who is feeling ambitious.
Now the good news.
I lied, there isn't any good news...