It is currently March 28th, 2024, 8:57 pm

[Annoyance] WiFiStatus plugin error message

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

[Annoyance] WiFiStatus plugin error message

Post by SilverAzide »

Hello,

In any skin using the WifiStatus plugin, if the PC has no wireless adapter, the following error pops up in the log:
WifiStatus.dll: Unable to open WLAN API Handle. Error code (1062): Unknown error code

This message is OK, but the annoyance is that it occurs even if the measure is disabled. The HWiNFO dev was chastised for doing something similar in a previous version of his plugin, so it would be nice if the Rainmeter plugin didn't log any error if the measure is disabled. Or perhaps a parameter could be added to enable logging (defaulted to false), which IIRC is what the HWiNFO plugin now does.
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
Brian
Developer

Re: [Annoyance] WiFiStatus plugin error message

Post by Brian »

This has been bugging me as well.

This error message happens during 'initialization' and before the normal 'update loop' we often talk about (this why it happens even if the measure is disabled). While this error message is important, it is bothersome for non-wifi systems. I think a good compromise is that when the WLAN AutoConfig (WLANSVC) service is not active (error 1062), this error message will only appear in the log if Rainmeter is in 'Debug Mode'. We still want a user to know 'why' the wifi plugin isn't returning any values, but we don't want error to show in the log if that service is not active.

This specific error message will now show as a 'Debug' message only if Rainmeter is in 'Debug Mode'.
https://docs.rainmeter.net/manual/user-interface/manage/#Logging

Other issues with initializing the wifi objects that the plugin uses will still be logged normally as a regular 'Error' message (even if the measure is disabled).

-Brian
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Perfect! :thumbup:
Gadgets Wiki GitHub More Gadgets...
CyberTheWorm

Post by CyberTheWorm »

Funny I get

Code: Select all

WifiStatus.dll: No WLAN interfaces/adapters available.
with debug or no debug
The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
Deviant Art Page
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

CyberTheWorm wrote:Funny I get

Code: Select all

WifiStatus.dll: No WLAN interfaces/adapters available.
with debug or no debug
This is probably because your WLAN Auto Config service (WLANSVC) is running, but you have no wireless adapters.

I decided to change all WifiStatus.dll initialization errors to log as 'debug' messages as of the next beta.

-Brian