It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:50 pm

[Bug] !CommandMeasure not supported in Rainmeter 3.3.2?

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

[Bug] !CommandMeasure not supported in Rainmeter 3.3.2?

Post by SilverAzide »

Hello devs,

I'm not sure this is worth reporting, but here it goes. I'm doing some regression testing with a skin running under Rainmeter 3.3.2, on Windows 7 32-bit.

The !CommandMeasure bang does not appear to work, or does not work with the RunCommand plugin. To make sure it was not my skin, I tested with the example code in the current documentation for the RunCommand measure. When attempting to execute the bang, I get the following in the Log window: !CommandMeasure: Not supported. I tripled checked the RM version.. definitely 3.3.2 build 2609.

According to the version history page, RunCommand was added in 3.3.0, so it should be supported and working in 3.3.2. Installing Rainmeter 4.0 resolves the problem, but I was hoping to maintain compatibility with 3.3.x so XP/Vista users wouldn't be left out (assuming any still exist).

I did not attempt to nail down if this glitch occurs under 64-bit Windows 7, or 32-bit versions of other OSes, because Rainmeter 3.3.x is history at this point. Is this a known problem, and if so, would there be any interest in making a fix available?
Brian
Developer

Re: [Bug] !CommandMeasure not supported in Rainmeter 3.3.2?

Post by Brian »

Similar issues have been reported several times:
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?p=118322#p118322 (supposedly fixed)
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?p=128313#p128313 (seems to have been fixed with later beta, but not sure given the contents of later posts)
https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?p=127845#p127845 (this one was an issue with build and was corrected, see the 2nd page of the thread for the build).

I can't remember exactly what the cause of the problem was, but it had something to do with Visual Studio 2015, which I think we corrected here (but not 100% sure since that commit message mentions Windows XP).

Also, we released an updated version of Rainmeter 3.3.2 in December of 2016 (r2743). So I am not sure if the r2609 had an issue, or if r2743 has the issue (or both). I tested r2743 (64-bit) on Windows 10, and RunCommand seems to work fine.

Another possible issue is if the wrong 'bitness' of the plugin was being used. Using a 64-bit plugin on 32-bit Rainmeter (or on a 32-bit OS) may cause this issue. Or if using a 32-bit plugin on 64-bit Rainmeter.

Either way, we are unlikely to spend too much time on this since later versions do not seem to have this problem and we have moved on from supporting any OS older than Windows 7. If there are definitive steps that can reproduce the issue, then that would help narrow down the issue and help us release a fix if needed. We would need the specific OS's that are effected (and the bitness of the OS, 32, 64, or both). If the OS is 32-bit, then which 32-bit versions of Rainmeter are effected. If the OS is 64-bit, then which 32 and/or 64 bit versions of Rainmeter are effected.

-Brian

PS - Not sure why the history page has the old build number for the 3.3.2 release. Probably because they are out-of-order since we have different branches. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Brian,

Thanks for your response and for looking into this. I fired up some VMs of various OS flavors and tried all the builds of Rainmeter since 3.3.0, both 32-bit and 64-bit. Have have some good news and bad. First the good: Rainmeter itself seems OK, and the "bitness" of the OS or the version of Windows does not matter (directly). The bad new is that it seems the Rainmeter 3.3.2 32-bit installer has a bug...

If you install Rainmeter 3.3.2 on a 32-bit OS, OR install it on a 64-bit OS and select the option for 32-bit install, it appears the RunCommand plugin is the wrong flavor. 3.3.0, 3.3.1, and 4.0.0 are all OK -- this error is unique to the 32-bit 3.3.2 installation. The 64-bit 3.3.2 installation works fine.

With regard to the 3.3.2 release, I tested with build r2609 (the one listed in the History as the final build). I also grabbed the r2743 build you referenced from the "old downloads" folder. BOTH r2609 and r2743 32-bit installs have this error.

Spending any calories on 3.3.x seems a little pointless now, but I suppose if anyone is still running a pre-Win7 32-bit OS, they can't use 4.x. A work-around for anyone desperate enough would be to grab the 32-bit RunCommand plugin from a 3.3.1 install and patch the 3.3.2 install with it.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Thank you for all your testing. I was able to reproduce this problem and I believe this was a build error of some kind that only seemed to affect the 32-bit RunCommand plugin. 64-bit seems okay, and all the other plugins seem to check out.

Look for an updated 3.3.2 release soon.

-Brian
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Rainmeter 3.3.3 for Windows XP and Vista: https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=26368

-Brian