It is currently March 29th, 2024, 1:35 pm

BUG? rainmeter dont use snap to edge feature even if is active in skins

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
cmedia

BUG? rainmeter dont use snap to edge feature even if is active in skins

Post by cmedia »

Hi!

suddenly rainmeter stop to use the snap to edge, when i drag the skins now turn highlighted, before never happen, and the skin dont "grid" with each other or with desktop limit, i can move outside the desktop and they didint snap close to each other like always happen, so you can organize easily the skin close to each other.

before i was unable to move to even move the skins outside the decktop limit, now i can:
https://i.imgur.com/rrwL9jA.jpg

now i cannot arrange close to each other easily the skin because they dont "snap" to eachother, they simply end up one over another
https://i.imgur.com/0C8fJde.jpg

this things drive me crazy and make me unable to easily, as before, organize the skins on my desktop.

DAMN I FOUND THE REASON, if you disable "show windows content while dragging" in the system performance option (i recently disabled it), rainmeter lost the ability to "Snap" the skins...

i guess can be a bug, no?

for the record, i run also "fences" and fences keep his snap function with or without "show windows content while dragging" enabled.

rainmenter, not.
Bekarfel

Re: BUG? rainmeter dont use snap to edge feature even if is active in skins

Post by Bekarfel »

I think this may be some kind of bug but I'm not sure. I can definitely replicate Fences' settings behavior in other programs, like Paint.Net
moshi wrote:there are many Rainmeter skins that aren't really useful, so let's add another one.
jsmorley wrote:I have good news and bad news.
First the bad news. [...] We would be happy to have this happen and would love to work with anyone who is feeling ambitious.
Now the good news.
I lied, there isn't any good news...
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

This is one of those 'Windows features' that is optimally controlled by the user and not a program. What happens is the 'Show window contents while dragging' system option tells programs if they should re-paint when dragging a window across the screen. That means when this option is unchecked, the desktop window manager (DWM) just draws a rectangle around the window and moves just that rectangle around the screen when dragging it with the mouse. The program doesn't receive any messages that one of its windows is being dragged. So we can't check the windows position for snapping. (Actually snapping still works in this scenario if the final window position is within the snapping distance, but the DWM rectangle being moved won't show it because that is Windows, not Rainmeter.)

So, while most users will have this option enabled, for those systems that have disabled this option, we have decided to temporarily enable it while a skin is being dragged across the screen. This shouldn't affect other windows on your system, just Rainmeter skins (this wont work for Rainmeter dialogs like Manage or About).

This will be in the next beta.

-Brian
cmedia

Post by cmedia »

nice, thank you and thanks the dev team for rainmeter!