It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:22 pm

Rainmeter setting off avast

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Dakracs

Rainmeter setting off avast

Post by Dakracs »

As of today I keep getting a warning from Avast about every ten minutes about a threat, showing rainmeter as the source of this as seen in the screenshot provided.
I also included the list of active skins to perhaps help with determining what it is. I am thinking perhaps a false positive but I figured I'd post it here in case someone else has come across the same thing.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: Rainmeter setting off avast

Post by jsmorley »

Yes, this is a false positive. Rainmeter itself is certainly problem-free, assuming you got it from https://www.rainmeter.net, and I don't think there is any way that any given skin you run will trigger an antivirus issue, unless there is some executable .exe program being called by the skin, and that would trigger on the external program, not Rainmeter.exe.

Avast (well in fairness most antivirus programs) has a long history of false positives, and all you can do is "exclude" Rainmeter.exe from checking, and while you are at it report the false positive to Avast.
Dakracs

Post by Dakracs »

Thank you for the reply. I will make sure to report the false positive. I found it odd to begin with as I've never had any issue with rainmeter before and this referred straight to the exe.

First time avast has been doing though, hence the small hesitation.
Bekarfel

Post by Bekarfel »

The problem with this warning (and response, imo) is that Avast is activating on the URL, not on Rainmeter. The focus should be on what skin is trying to access the detected URL?
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

Bekarfel wrote:The problem with this warning (and response, imo) is that Avast is activating on the URL, not on Rainmeter. The focus should be on what skin is trying to access the detected URL?
The issue is with ClearText Update (not Rainmeter) trying to access that URL; as Befarkel pointed out. :thumbup:

I would inquire to the author of ClearText on his DA site to get this resolved. :x