It is currently March 29th, 2024, 2:24 am

No text after Creator's Update

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
suixin812

Re: No text after Creator's Update

Post by suixin812 »

Hi there,

I wander know if you have solved problem.
My laptop doesn't occur this problem, but there is one guy has the same problem and ask me for help.
I have replied brian's and kyriakos876's suggestion to him.
If there's any progress, I will reply in this post.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

It's not what everyone will want to hear, but I'm of the opinion that a "major" version update to Windows is a good excuse to do a clean, "bare metal" re-install of Windows.

You get a lot of "cruft" over time in Windows, and doing a clean install is a good way to get things running faster and more reliably, and save a ton of hard drive space you didn't even know was being wasted.

It's not hard, just a bit of a "slog". Schedule a day when you are not busy and have at least 3-4 hours you can dedicate.

So make a good, trustworthy backup of all your "data". That is generally going to be most of what is in your personal folder, C:\Users\YourName including and especially what is in Documents. Get all your music and pictures and various documents for sure. Store this on another drive. Use a second hard drive if you have one installed, or a removable USB drive. You can backup to another computer over the network if you have one handy.

Check to be sure that you have or know where you can get "uninstalled" versions of the software you use. Don't worry too much about collecting it all up-front, you are going to want to go get the latest versions of stuff anyway, another good excuse to get solid...

Go to Microsoft and download the Media Creation Tool. Use that to create a bootable Windows 10 installation on a USB flash drive.

Now stop and take a deep breath. Think one more time. Did you backup everything you want to save? Do you have or know where you can get the software you are going to need to re-install after you get Windows up and running?

Boot from that USB flash drive, and do a full, clean installation of Windows. I like to actually delete all partitions on my main drive and let Windows re-create them.

Once Windows is installed, simply copy back your personal data, and get to work. The longest and perhaps most tedious part of the process is next. Getting and installing all the software you normally use, and getting them configured the way you like.

For me, this entire process, from soup to nuts, takes me about 5-6 hours from the start to when I have pretty much everything back the way I like it. While I don't exactly look forward to it, I'm always pleased that things run a lot faster and smoother afterward, and I don't mind the few gigabytes of hard drive space I always recover. I actually do it probably 1-2 times a year in any case.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

A few additional hints on my previous post about dong a "clean" install...

1) Be sure that you get or know where you can get any specific "drivers" needed for your hardware. While with reasonably modern systems, most things are "plug and play" and Windows will install what is needed transparently during the install, you might have some specific driver for some unusual touchpad on a laptop, or some camera or printer driver that is specific to your hardware. Be sure you can get those back in case Windows needs them.

2) When Windows is installed, it will create a user account for you. Windows 10 will want you to login to your Microsoft account during the install, and will create your account "name", what it will use in C:\Users\YourName based on the first 7 characters of the email account you use with Microsoft. That may or may not be what you want. If not, simply "skip" logging into your Microsoft account during the install, (it will bark at you, but that's fine) and use any "name' you want when prompted. Once you have Windows all installed, it is simple to go to settings and switch to using your "online account", which you will almost certainly want to do. Doing that after the fact won't effect what your "user" folder name is.

3) If you are using a program like Acronis True Image Home (which I can't possibly recommend enough, it has saved me dozens of times over the years) to do your "backup", be a bit careful when you restore things. By default, Acronis (and other "image" backup software) will want to restore things with the original "ownership" and "permissions" saved in the backup. Don't let it do that in this case. While your account may be called "Bob" both in the backup and on the new clean install, that name has nothing to so with it. As far as Windows is concerned, they are two completely different accounts, and you will get "ownership" issues in your personal folder if you restore things with the older attributes. Tell the software to ignore any original ownership or permissions, and it they will be put in place as if you just copied them there, and will inherit the correct ownership and such.

4) You can restore or copy back most things in your personal folder and other places on your hard drive, but be careful about restoring what is in your personal AppData folder. While you "own" that, it does contain things that can give you problems, and you should for the most part let Windows, and the software you install, mange the contents of that folder. While you can certainly copy back some "configurations" for the software you use, C:\Users\YourName\Appdata\Roaming\Rainmeter is a good example, I don't recommend just copying back the entire AppData folder. Be selective. Do it as you re-install your software.

5) Another location to be careful of is the folder C:\ProgramData. That has a couple of purposes. First, it is where some software that you install for "all users" will store configuration data. You may or may not want to copy any of that back, see 4) above. Second, it is used by Windows itself to store configuration information, and it is risky in the extreme to copy any of that back. Stay way from C:\ProgramData\Microsoft in particular. There is a reason why C:\ProgramData is "hidden" by default. Windows is trying to tell you something... This folder is particularly sensitive to "ownership" attributes. You don't want to have to start all over.
BurningProcessor

Post by BurningProcessor »

I only display text on integrated graphics hardware.
B3rkay

Post by B3rkay »

BurningProcessor wrote:I only display text on integrated graphics hardware.
it works bro love youu <333333