It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:13 am

what's bugging me in rainmeter...

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
jsmorley
Developer

Re: what's bugging me in rainmeter...

Post by jsmorley »

dvo wrote:everytime i want to install something i have to extract the the skin couse you make them with the newest version..
and won't open in older versions even when they work in older version why is this always?
this really bugging me :-( :confused: :uhuh:
I hardly see that as a bug or a feature suggestion. My suggestion to you is to run the latest version of Rainmeter.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

dvo wrote:so i have to update every time whole rainmeter with all the scripts because there is a new release every week
stupid just remove that little part of script out of rainmeter that solves all ..couse it doesn't do it's job...
looking at the script if it runs on older version or newer it just say you need newer couse you made it on a newer version. :D
Sorry, never going to happen. There is no way for the skin installer to parse the entirely of all the code in all skins in a .rmskin and determine what features are or are not supported in any particular version of Rainmeter. It is up to the skin author, when he creates the .rmskin to determine and enforce what the lowest version of Rainmeter is that his skin supports.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

dvo wrote:Define the Purpose of that version check , it doesn't do what it should ... :D

couse i can run the scripts still in all old versions ...
Not necessarily. If we add or change a feature in a particular version, a skin using that feature won't work right in an older version of Rainmeter.

That is the point of the version check in the installer. It makes perfect sense, and is absolutely needed.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

dvo wrote:oke :-( i will unzip the rmskin and add them manually but it's no fun doing that by most all the skins..
Name one you would have to do that with right now. Give me a link. Since there is no public 4.1 beta out, and 4.0 has been out for months, I resist that there is even one. If you are running 3.3 of Rainmeter, well, sorry. I no longer have any sympathy for those running Windows XP.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

Well, there are about a million older skins on deviantArt that will work fine with Rainmeter 3.3, and more power to you. However, we no longer support Windows XP or Rainmeter 3.3, and all you can do is unzip the .rmskin, and then see if it works for you. Going forward, more and more often it won't.

We go to great lengths to ensure "backwards compatibility" with Rainmeter. A skin written with Rainmeter 0.14 should work just fine on Rainmeter 4.0. We can't and won't ensure "forwards compatibility" and you really must run at least the latest "release" version of Rainmeter, or we can't help you.
Bekarfel

Post by Bekarfel »

I downloaded and installed Fade_1.0-ish just fine and I'm using 4.0.0 r2746
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

dvo wrote:i'm already working next to that with the 4.0.0 v2746 1 jan version but even on that one i have it ... :???:
trying to install https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=25538
Fade_1.0-ish.rmskin opening it with the 4.0 installer and saying that i need a 4.0 or higher
That .rmskin is set to install with 4.0.0.2746 or earlier, and should work fine for you. does for me.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

No idea what you are doing. I can't follow your description of your setup and the actions you are taking. I don't follow what you mean by "redirect" in this case, or what a "4.0 map" is.

At a high-level, I gather that you have both 3.3 and 4.0 installed, presumably with 3.3 installed "normally" in C:\Program Files\, and 4.0 installed "portable" in C:\rain4.0\. Somehow, when you install a .rmskin the SkinInstaller application is seeing the version in 3.3, and so you are getting that error.

If you double-click a .rmksin, it will use the version of Rainmeter that has the .rmskin extension associated with it in Windows, that is going to the the one installed "normally", which is the only way to automatically have the association created. If you install Rainmeter "portable", you will need to create or change the extension manually.
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

dvo wrote:map is the same as a folder for you jsmorley it's the place where the 4.0 installer is standing in the standalone version
so i can redirect to the 4.0 installer instead of the auto pick 3.3 version.... so you know i picked the right one :)

the strange happens when i shut down 4.0 and try to install then the installer of 4.0 just does it's job by installing...
but not if rainmeter 4.0 is active.. :D
I don't know. I'm not particularly familiar with the SkinInstaller code, so I'm not sure how it will react tho having both 3.3 and 4.0 installed and / or running on the same system. You are just going to have to play around and see what works for you.

I see absolutely no purpose in running 3.3 on a system that supports 4.0 (anything later than Windows Vista), and certainly can't see a reason to run both, so I think I'm done chewing on this issue.

My advice is to always run at least the latest "release" version of Rainmeter, and I strongly recommend actually staying current with the latest "beta" version so you get all the new cool stuff as we roll things out. If you are on Windows XP or Vista, then you must run Rainmeter 3.3, but that should just be to tide you over until you can get a system that is running at least Windows 7, and preferably Windows 10. Windows XP is a dead, unsupported operating system. We also don't do localization to Latin or Ancient Aramaic...

If you have some cow-milking machine that interfaces to your computer via parallel port and the software requires Windows XP, well ok. My advice is to move to the city, sell the cow, and use that money to buy a real computer.

All support that I personally provide on these forums, any answers to any questions folks have, will always be based on the functionality in the latest public beta version of Rainmeter. All .rmskins I might post on deviantART will always be based on the latest "release" version of Rainmeter, and any skin code I post here, either as code or .rmskin, will be based on the version of Rainmeter that fully supports the functionality I'm trying to demonstrate, but always at least the latest "release" version.
Bekarfel

Post by Bekarfel »

dvo wrote:i'm trying to install normal skin selected then redirect to the 4.0 installer i use the standalone version
next to the 3.3 so i redirect it by selecting in the 4.0 map the installer and it says he won't couse i need a 4.0 or higher..
but the installer is the 4.0 so it had to work but won't :oops:
You get this message because you don't have 4.0.0.2746 installed. Whatever you're trying to do, you're not doing it the Right Way. You simply cannot install a skin with any kind of version of Rainmeter that is older than the skin specifies.

I've done some testing with installing 4.0 and 3.3 on the same computer with 3.3 as the main installation and 4.0 as the standalone. Running the standalone and initiating an installation of a 4.0 skin fails with the warning saying Rainmeter 4.0.0.2746 or higher is required. This is expected behavior because the Standalone does not register the skin installer as a default program for .rmskin and therefore Windows uses the installed 3.3.
If I go through the registry and swap the SkinInstaller paths from the installed path to the Standalone path then it works fine, and it launches Rainmeter 4.0.
Trying to swap the 3.3 SkinInstaller with the 4.0 SkinInstaller fails hysterically with a DLL error.