It is currently March 28th, 2024, 1:17 pm

Whole skin folder gone after upgrade

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Awppenheimer

Whole skin folder gone after upgrade

Post by Awppenheimer »

I just upgrade to the 4.0 final release and now my whole skin folder under C:/Users/Documents/Rainmeter is gone.
I thought it shouldn't be a issue? Unfortunately I've no backup :|
Brian
Developer

Re: Whole skin folder gone after upgrade

Post by Brian »

The installer does not delete the skins folder during installation. Did you by chance run the uninstaller before installing 4.0 ?
There is an option in the uninstaller to remove the skins folder. This seems like the likely cause to the issue, although maybe some other software (like your anti-virus software etc.) could have done this? :confused:

You never have to run the uninstaller before installing a newer version of Rainmeter. We make backwards compatibility our #1 priority.

Unfortunately your files are probably lost, however you may be able to recover your skins using a file recovery software like Recuva (free from the CCleaner guys): https://www.piriform.com/recuva/builds (Download the portable version to a USB drive, unzip it, and run). Hopefully you have some luck with this.

-Brian
Awppenheimer

Post by Awppenheimer »

I didn't uninstall Rainmeter before I updated to 4.0.
I was using the 4.0 Beta when I tried to install the "M E T A" skin, but the installer showed me an error that I need a newer version, so I updated to the 4.0 final release and after that my skin folder was completely empty :(

Recuva doesn't work because I'm using a SSD.

Nevertheless, It was a chance to recreate my setup altough I had to recreate a whole skin, which took me almost two hours, but know it's even better. :D

Is there a way to provide logs or anything else to prevent this for the future? Maybe the installer had a problem with my junction set to the skin folder?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

We will do some digging. Symbolic links / Junctions are a bit tricky.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Awppenheimer wrote:Maybe the installer had a problem with my junction set to the skin folder?
Ahhh...this information would have been helpful. The installer may not 'see' the folder after all since its just a link.

We will look into this, but there may not be a solution. We use NSIS to build our installer, so the problem may be with us or with them.

-Brian