It is currently March 29th, 2024, 10:43 am

Monitor Variables Bug With Windows Scaling Factor

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
fizik

Monitor Variables Bug With Windows Scaling Factor

Post by fizik »

Hello Devs :)

I came across a little bug with the Monitor variables. Every variable is affected. I searched but was not able to find anything about it.

If your scaling factor in Windows (at least in Win10) is not set to 100% all monitor variables will return a wrong value that is calculated by the real width multiplied by the reciprocal of the scaling factor. Many displays, for example my Surface Pro 4, use a scaling factor different from 100% to look good.

Attached an image for visualization.

It has to be said that my resolution is set to 2736 pixels in width within the settings! If we could grab it directly from there everything would be fine. An other method would be to detect the scaling factor and simply multiply it with the returned value. Since my knowledge is limited on this area I'll leave it to you guys.

Just wanted to report this bug since it will defintely be a problem when 4K displays or generally displays with higher resolutions have reached a bigger market share. :)

EDIT
Tested on two other FullHD displays and they do not behave like this! Changing the scaling factor did not change the screen area values. Weird.. Maybe it has something to do with the "recommended" value by Windows. On both FullHD displays a scaling factor of 100% is recommended, on my Surface 200% is recommended...