It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:53 am

[Suggestion] Rainmeter.stats by adapter name instead of number?

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

[Suggestion] Rainmeter.stats by adapter name instead of number?

Post by SilverAzide »

Sorry for bringing this up again, but I thought I'd throw it up against the wall again to see if anything sticks for v4.0...

Any chance of changing the Rainmeter.stats file (and internal use of this file) so that it records the cumulative network in/out values by adapter name instead of by number? This would complement the Interface=Best/"adapter name" interface usage for the NetIn/NetOut/NetTotal/SysInfo measures. It will also be more accurate if/when a new adapter shows up and changes the indexes around; I get virtual adapters showing up occasionally and it throws off the cumulative totals when this happens due to shifting the adapter index numbers.

So, maybe instead of this:

Code: Select all

[Statistics]
In13=626611127094
Out13=1099893210637
In22=31593644421
Out22=20526525710
We could have this:

Code: Select all

[Statistics]

[Intel(R) 82599 Gigabit Ethernet blah blah]
In=626611127094
Out=1099893210637

[Qualcomm something something]
In=31593644421
Out=20526525710
With this, the cumulative NetIn/NetOut/NetTotal measures will always be correct regardless of any adapter configuration changes. And Rainmeter would at last be totally consistent across all the SysInfo/Net measures with respect to using adapter names and/or "Best".
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Re: [Suggestion] Rainmeter.stats by adapter name instead of number?

Post by SilverAzide »

No interest, eh? OK... :(
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

SilverAzide wrote:No interest, eh? OK... :(
Keep your panties on... I'm waiting for Brian to be around so I can stick a burr under his saddle about this. ;-)

Nothing may come of it, but we will at least take a quick look.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

LOL, ok! They do get twisted up at times... :)
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

Bump...

Still interested in this enhancement. I recently got a second Win10 laptop and for some reason the network adapters on this new machine very frequently change their indices (not sure why, I'm not making any system changes AFAIK). As a result, the Rainmeter.stats file is completely hosed, as the values stored there are wrong once the adapters are reshuffled. Changing this file from being index-based to adapter name-based is the simplest change I can think of.

Thanks for listening.
SilverAzide
Rainmeter Sage

Post by SilverAzide »

OK guys, one last bump for this suggestion before I get the message and give up...

I know this isn't as sexy as shape meters and inline string stuff, but this bug really needs to be fixed. The NetTotal measure is pretty broken without it.

To recap, I have several networks I typically connect to (work/home, wired/wireless). When switching between networks, my machine will typically (but not always) reorder the adapters, such that the indices are different for the same adapter. This means that the stats for an adapter get recorded in the Rainmeter.stats file incorrectly, which renders the NetTotal measure essentially useless.

Now that 4.0 is out, perhaps 4.1?