It is currently July 27th, 2021, 4:06 pm

Rainmeter for Android

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
User avatar
DaisyQ
Posts: 10
Joined: March 30th, 2012, 5:27 pm
Location: Hongkong

Rainmeter for Android

Post by DaisyQ »

Hi, Where can I find the Rainmeter for Android?
I hope I can use some rainmeter skins on my Android phone,
Who can give me some advice? thanks
Last edited by DaisyQ on February 26th, 2016, 3:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
jsmorley
Developer
Posts: 21976
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 11:02 pm
Location: Fort Hunt, Virginia, USA

Re: About Rainmeter for Android

Post by jsmorley »

There is no Android version of Rainmeter.
User avatar
DaisyQ
Posts: 10
Joined: March 30th, 2012, 5:27 pm
Location: Hongkong

Re: About Rainmeter for Android

Post by DaisyQ »

jsmorley wrote:There is no Android version of Rainmeter.
If I develop an Android version of Rainmeter, Would anyone need it?
User avatar
jsmorley
Developer
Posts: 21976
Joined: April 19th, 2009, 11:02 pm
Location: Fort Hunt, Virginia, USA

Re: About Rainmeter for Android

Post by jsmorley »

So you are going to have folks write .ini code for skins with their thumbs on a teeny-tiny keyboard? ;-)

Really, Rainmeter doesn't make sense on Android. Most of what Rainmeter "measures" would require rooting your phone or tablet, not one single line of existing Rainmeter code would work in an Android environment, and there are already about a billion "widgets" for Android that can do anything you want.

You could create some suite of widgets, maybe with a way for folks to customize them, although I'm not sure how, and you could call it "Rainmeter", but it wouldn't be Rainmeter.

http://www.greenbot.com/article/2849358/three-apps-that-let-you-create-and-customize-your-own-widgets.html
User avatar
DaisyQ
Posts: 10
Joined: March 30th, 2012, 5:27 pm
Location: Hongkong

Re: About Rainmeter for Android

Post by DaisyQ »

jsmorley wrote:So you are going to have folks write .ini code for skins with their thumbs on a teeny-tiny keyboard? ;-)

Really, Rainmeter doesn't make sense on Android. Most of what Rainmeter "measures" would require rooting your phone or tablet, not one single line of existing Rainmeter code would work in an Android environment, and there are already about a billion "widgets" for Android that can do anything you want.

You could create some suite of widgets, maybe with a way for folks to customize them, although I'm not sure how, and you could call it "Rainmeter", but it wouldn't be Rainmeter.

http://www.greenbot.com/article/2849358/three-apps-that-let-you-create-and-customize-your-own-widgets.html


Rainmeter has his own feature ,powerful and simple ,A lot of skin that have been created
If we create the Android version of Rainmeter, a lot of skin can used on our Android phone immediatly.
Write .ini code just on PC ,uses them on Phone and Pad
of course, we can add a simple editor to change .ini code on Phone/Pad for occasionally modify.
Nobody support this idea? :confused:
User avatar
Active Colors
Moderator
Posts: 807
Joined: February 16th, 2012, 3:32 am
Location: Berlin, Germany

Re: About Rainmeter for Android

Post by Active Colors »

DaisyQ wrote:Rainmeter has his own feature ,powerful and simple ,A lot of skin that have been created
If we create the Android version of Rainmeter, a lot of skin can used on our Android phone immediatly.
Write .ini code just on PC ,uses them on Phone and Pad
of course, we can add a simple editor to change .ini code on Phone/Pad for occasionally modify.
Nobody support this idea? :confused:
I think you totally miss something here.

I'm not a developer, but what I see is - Rainmeter uses Windows' features on a fundamental level. All the meters, measures and plugins work using Windows features. Rainmeter is just almost completely dependent on Windows core. You just can't take source and compile it for android with couple of changes. It won't work. Completely different OS.
User avatar
DaisyQ
Posts: 10
Joined: March 30th, 2012, 5:27 pm
Location: Hongkong

Re: Rainmeter for Android

Post by DaisyQ »

Active Colors wrote:I think you totally miss something here.

I'm not a developer, but what I see is - Rainmeter uses Windows' features on a fundamental level. All the meters, measures and plugins work using Windows features. Rainmeter is just almost completely dependent on Windows core. You just can't take source and compile it for android with couple of changes. It won't work. Completely different OS.
I'm sorry I did not express clearly what I mean.
I not want compile the current source code of rainmeter for Android,That is impossible.
I mean, I hope my some Rainmeter skins can run on my Android phone/pad,
Then, if I uses Java Rewrite the Android version of Rainmeter,Would others people need it too?
If someone needs,I and my friends will glade to develop it together :)
User avatar
~Faradey~
Posts: 366
Joined: November 12th, 2009, 4:47 pm
Location: Ukraine

Re: Rainmeter for Android

Post by ~Faradey~ »

At first i thought it is a good idea, but now i don't think so. I think it a bit to late for such thing, many widgets and apps are available at the moment...may be if it would be easy to create and edit, otherwise i think it would be a waste of time writing such app.
Anyway it is not a bad idea :great:
User avatar
DaisyQ
Posts: 10
Joined: March 30th, 2012, 5:27 pm
Location: Hongkong

Re: Rainmeter for Android

Post by DaisyQ »

~Faradey~ wrote:At first i thought it is a good idea, but now i don't think so. I think it a bit to late for such thing, many widgets and apps are available at the moment...may be if it would be easy to create and edit, otherwise i think it would be a waste of time writing such app.
Anyway it is not a bad idea :great:
Many widgets are available on Windows too,but we love Rainmeter still.
Why no people need Rainmeter on Android ? :-(
doc
Posts: 4
Joined: March 5th, 2016, 11:53 pm

Re: Rainmeter for Android

Post by doc »

You can achieve similar things using apps like Tasker or Automagic. They allow you to interact with the system in a similar way as Rainmeter and to create your own apps or widgets.