It is currently April 25th, 2024, 12:17 am

no skins available at ???

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
mad_max034

no skins available at ???

Post by mad_max034 »

I just installed rainmeter and haven't find a way to load anything. I installed it in a folder different than the default one and my documents folder is at a diffrent location also. Everytime I try to load a theme, the Skinpath variable changes to a strange default value. I cannot change anything....
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Re: no skins available at ???

Post by Alex2539 »

In the address bar of Windows Explorer, type in %APPDATA% to go to your Application Data folder. In there, find the Rainmeter folder, then open Rainmeter.ini. In that file there should be a line near the top that says starts "SkinPath=". Make sure that the path shown here is the path to you skins folder.

The default path is something like this:
For Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\Your Username\My Documents\Rainmeter\Skins
For Windows Vista/7: C:\Users\Your Username\Documents\Rainmeter\Skins
ImageImageImageImage
mad_max034

Post by mad_max034 »

Already tried that, but the app automatically changes the skinpath value. tried to change every security policies for read/write permissions and nothing got it right

it is looking like it finds the themes in the right folder because it prompts me if I want to add a version of config of all themes to the skins library and then the no skins available at the weird location (the skinpath value is D:\\Rainmeter\Skins => D:\ is the my documents root). After this message, the rainmeter app restarts with no message and no modification done ...
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

mad_max034 wrote:Already tried that, but the app automatically changes the skinpath value. tried to change every security policies for read/write permissions and nothing got it right

it is looking like it finds the themes in the right folder because it prompts me if I want to add a version of config of all themes to the skins library and then the no skins available at the weird location (the skinpath value is D:\\Rainmeter\Skins => D:\ is the my documents root). After this message, the rainmeter app restarts with no message and no modification done ...
So your "My Documents" folder is just "D:\"? Not "D:\My Documents" or anything with a name?
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Alex2539 »

Are you trying to change the value when Rainmeter is running? There are certain values that Rainmeter will automatically correct. Make sure that Rainmeter is completely closed and then see if the changes stick.
ImageImageImageImage
mad_max034

Post by mad_max034 »

looking good :D

but upon theme change, it switches back to the D:\\Rainmeter\Skins value ...

and yes my documents is located at D:\ for fast os reinstallation
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

mad_max034 wrote:looking good :D

but upon theme change, it switches back to the D:\\Rainmeter\Skins value ...

and yes my documents is located at D:\ for fast os reinstallation
I'm getting a feeling of Deja Vu on this one, but can't put my finger on it. In any case it certainly looks like the code is looking for "My Documents" to be a folder, so you are in effect getting "D:\NULL\Rainmeter\Skins"
Alex2539
Rainmeter Sage

Post by Alex2539 »

If it's coming back on the theme change then I think that's because "themes" are really just saved and renamed "Rainmeter.ini" files that get swapped out. If that's the case then unless the theme browser conveniently omits the first couple of lines, that SkinPath= line is going to revert each time to whatever it was when the theme was saved. Unless I'm wrong about that, I suppose you would have to edit each one to fix it.
ImageImageImageImage
mad_max034

Post by mad_max034 »

noticed that the icon in the icon tray gets bigger when the theme is working ....