It is currently March 28th, 2024, 5:55 pm

[BUG] Memory leak with the audio plugin in Windows10

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
Spyros2n

[BUG] Memory leak with the audio plugin in Windows10

Post by Spyros2n »

Rainmeter Version: 3.3 Beta Release (r2461)
Soundcard: Creative Xfi Titanium with the latest official windows10 drivers
Plugin with the bug: Audiolevel (i think)

Hello, this is my first post around here.

I'm on Windows 10 64bit and i've been trying for a couple of months to find out the culprit to the excessive memory leaks i've been having all this time, until i found out that it was rainmeter all along.

I have my media player (j. river) set up to use Wasapi Exclusive (event style, 100ms buffer) when playing back audio files, which means that it's a direct connection and thus not being able to communicate with the audiolevel plugin in rainmeter. However rainmeter starts to produce a huge memory leak as soon as i hit play, which is visible only in the commited memory area of the task manager, no memory leaks in the process itself. The memory builds up to 18gb in a couple of minutes, resulting in windows10 producing low memory warnings and then crashing alltogether.

If i exit rainmeter when the memory leak occurs, it all goes back to normal.

Is there any way i could somehow get a log in order to help you find what's going on ?

ps: The problem occurs only when any of the visualizer skins is active, i've actually tried every single one of them!
Attachments
Screenshot (4).png
The rainmeter proccess memory consumption seems normal
Screenshot (3).png
The memory leak caught in the act
dgrace
Developer

Re: [BUG] Memory leak with the audio plugin in Windows10

Post by dgrace »

Thanks for the detail. I don't know if I've ever tried it with an audio player in WASAPI exclusive mode (first I've heard of it), but I'll see if I can duplicate that on my setup. My guess is that when I try to create the loopback client it's failing but not handling the error case, and then trying again on the next update.

Can you confirm that you don't have the issue if you don't set the player to that mode?

dave
dgrace
Developer

Post by dgrace »

One question: are you intentionally running in WASAPI exclusive mode for latency reasons? Or would shared mode work? To prevent applications running in exclusive mode, you can try right-clicking on the volume control and do "Playback Devices" then select the device, do "Properties" and in the Advanced tab there should be a checkbox which defines whether exclusive mode is available. You can try unchecking that box and see if the plugins now respond.

If you need WASAPI exclusive mode, then the best I can do is fix the memory leak, but a quicker solution would be just to not load any AudioLevel-enabled skins. (since they won't work anyway)

dave
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Spyros2n

Post by Spyros2n »

Thank you for your reply!

I'm intentionally using it for some of my house's zones, since it provices low latency audio similar to ASIO. I have my media center output to different equipment throughout the house and i'm using it in share mode only when playing back music on my pc speakers, so that the audiolevel plugin can capture audio.

I would be really thankful, if you could fix that memory leak! This bug seems exclusive to windows10, as i have been running the same setup with windows 8/8.1 without any problems in the past. For know i'll follow your advice and disable any visualization skins.
dgrace
Developer

Post by dgrace »

Spyros2n wrote:Thank you for your reply!

I'm intentionally using it for some of my house's zones, since it provices low latency audio similar to ASIO. I have my media center output to different equipment throughout the house and i'm using it in share mode only when playing back music on my pc speakers, so that the audiolevel plugin can capture audio.

I would be really thankful, if you could fix that memory leak! This bug seems exclusive to windows10, as i have been running the same setup with windows 8/8.1 without any problems in the past. For know i'll follow your advice and disable any visualization skins.
That's going to be tough for me to test then - I'm not upgrading to Win10 for a while yet as it'll break my work environment. I'll talk to the other devs and see if anyone else can repro it.

dave
weefu

Post by weefu »

I'm having the same problem and I am currently using J.River and every time I use WASAPI, it starts to create a memory leak. Same set up as the previous post but I just want to run a dedicated WASAPI exclusive mode for J.River. It also seems that visuals don't work either.
w13d0w

Post by w13d0w »

bumping this because this bug is still happening. I encountered it when media players used exclusive mode to pass on undecoded audio (Dolby Digital, etc) to my AV-receiver. I am using a modular skin and and the problem stopped as soon as I disabled the audio related modules. Took me half my saturday to find the culprit :thumbdown: I am on windows 10 pro 64 bit version 1703 (Build 15063.502). Rainmeter version 4.0.0 r2746 64 bit. All drivers are up to date
w13d0w

Post by w13d0w »

I don't run that card, my setup is different than OP's:

2x Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti SLI
Intel Core i7-4960X @ 4,10GHz
16GB DDR3 RAM
Alienware 0FPV4P
Samsung SSD SM841 256GB
Seagate HDD 1CH162 1TB
(sound goes to AVR with HDMI through one of the video cards)
eclectic-tech
Rainmeter Sage

Post by eclectic-tech »

w13d0w wrote:I don't run that card, my setup is different than OP's:

2x Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti SLI
Intel Core i7-4960X @ 4,10GHz
16GB DDR3 RAM
Alienware 0FPV4P
Samsung SSD SM841 256GB
Seagate HDD 1CH162 1TB
(sound goes to AVR with HDMI through one of the video cards)
It may be a while before the author is able to look into this issue. You should follow DGrace's suggestion above:
Do not load any visualizer skins when EXCLUSIVE MODE is active; none of them will work anyway, so why have them loaded? :uhuh: