It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:37 pm

Rainmeter random crash with Nero Burning room

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
slyphnier

Rainmeter random crash with Nero Burning room

Post by slyphnier »

i got crash twice after install and using nero burning room 2015
Not sure what caused the crash but rainmeter on my system never crash before using nero

the crash always happen when i quit/close nero burning room, so while using/running nero (including launching) there no crash

from windows log, it said related to USER32.dll
it possible caused by the skin i use and the crash randomly happen so maybe not easy to track

i tested with either 3.1 final and 3.2beta and both affected with this issue

incase needed here the windows log, sorry it in japanese
発生元
Rainmeter

概要
動作が停止しました

日付
‎2014/‎12/‎12 19:34

状態
報告されていません

説明
障害が発生しているアプリケーションのパス: C:\Program Files\Rainmeter\Rainmeter.exe

問題の署名
問題イベント名: APPCRASH
アプリケーション名: Rainmeter.exe
アプリケーションのバージョン: 3.2.0.2326
アプリケーションのタイムスタンプ: 541988d3
障害モジュールの名前: USER32.dll
障害モジュールのバージョン: 6.1.7601.17514
障害モジュールのタイムスタンプ: 4ce7c9f1
例外コード: c00000fd
例外オフセット: 0000000000019add
OS バージョン: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1
ロケール ID: 1041
追加情報 1: 3cbe
追加情報 2: 3cbeb307e893559f9d1dbf7fb52c4346
追加情報 3: 11de
追加情報 4: 11de2d1a4fd0395d2200736cd4bbd4e3
WTFGamingMan

Re: Rainmeter random crash with Nero Burning room

Post by WTFGamingMan »

i had the same problem,but i just realized it,you just have to run rainmeter as administrator.
just set run as administrator in properties an that's it :D
peterf

Post by peterf »

Gentlemen, first post: Using Win10Pro built from bare metal (no carryover previous system rubbish) confirm that there is a clash between Nero V.15 & 16 and latest beta of Rainmeter.
On closing a session of Nero Rainmeter immediately shuts down. Rainmerer can be restarted in the same session without reboot. I note the suggestion to Run Rainmeter 'as administrator' IMHO this should only be used as a temporary compatibility fix, I note certain 3rd party system tools need to run as administrator but these are special system tools used for a short time and not permanently running as part of a desktop interface. It would seem very desirable to fix this issue before final release. Should anyone need logs dumps whatever happy to help supply.
DavidFw1960

Post by DavidFw1960 »

I also have this with the latest Nero 2017 Platinum and Windows 10 and the latest Rainmeter v4 RC1

As soon as I exit Nero Burning ROM, rainmeter crashes. I can then restart it but again it crashes on exiting Nero.

It also did this with Rainmeter 3 and Nero 2015.
Brian
Developer

Post by Brian »

Unfortunately, based on the crash report in the first post, this seems to be an issue with user32.dll which is part of the Windows OS. Typically an exception code of C00000FD means a stack overflow has happened in the module (user32.dll). User32.dll generally handles some of the graphical elements of windows and dialog boxes. This means that most programs that present some sort of graphical UI will use user32.dll.

Although Rainmeter will use user32.dll for things like dialog boxes, Rainmeter does not explicitly call user32.dll except to grab some system icons for our About dialog box. I could not find anything that would cause a C00000FD error for user32.dll.

So what else could be causing this problem? (Listed in order of probability)
  1. Nero Burning Rom : Since the problem only arises when this software is closed, this software is likely the cause of the problem. However, since this software likely uses some drivers to burn discs, there is an equal chance the next item could be a cause as well.
  2. Some Windows driver : It's possible that some Windows driver(s) has become damaged or incompatible which can result in calls to routines in user32.dll that are invalid. Doing a quick google search brings up several cases where drivers have caused problems in user32.dll. Example.
  3. Some virus and/or malware : Self explanatory. Might try running a scan of your system to see if you have any virus's or other issues your AV can fix. I highly recommend running Malwarebytes as well.
  4. Your anti-virus software : There are known virus's that infect user32.dll and some AV's may be temporarily blocking access to user32.dll. Given the details of this particular problem, this is unlikely, but you never know. Examples of AV's causing user32.dll problems: Link #1, Link #2, Link #3
  5. A 3rd party Rainmeter plugin : It is possible that some 3rd party plugin is causing the issue, but I highly doubt it. You can easily check this by unloading all skins using a 3rd party plugin (not the built-in ones), and then close and restart Rainmeter (to make sure the 3rd party plugins are unloaded). Then start Nero Burning Rom and close it (or whatever steps needed that cause the crash). If the crash doesn't happen, then it could be the 3rd party plugin.

So what can you do?
  1. Windows Update : Being up-to-date with Windows Update should always be the first thing when problems arise. Although most of you are probably already up-to-date, you never know if some update will fix the issue.
  2. SFC : Run the System File Checker. This will repair any system files that may have become corrupted or damaged in some way. First open an elevated command prompt (Run as administrator), and then type in the following command: sfc /scannow
  3. Reinstall Nero Burning Rom : It's possible that something happened during the installation of Nero causing some issue that causes user32.dll to crash. You may say, "But it crashes Rainmeter, not Nero", true, however it is possible that just before Nero closes, it has user32.dll 'do something' that causes the crash, but Nero itself closes just before the problem...so the OS reports it in the next program using user32.dll, which could be Rainmeter. Although this scenario is unlikely, reinstalling the software may fix the problem.
  4. Update drivers : Check for any updated drivers for your system using your OEM's support website. Most of the good manufacturers provide an updated list of drivers for the devices they have made. You may have to manually install your graphics drivers separately.
  5. Run as an admin : If all else fails, user WTFGamingMan suggests running Rainmeter as a administrator seems to prevent this from happening. The reason this works is because the system won't let programs without administrator privileges access, modify, or even acknowledge programs with administrator privileges. So for system libraries (like user32.dll), any problems that arise during execution from a program without admin privileges won't affect programs with admin privileges using the same file because they run in a separate memory space. Hopefully that makes sense.
I hope one of these items fixes your problem, or at least in the case of item (e) allow you to use Rainmeter without crashing.

-Brian