It is currently April 16th, 2024, 11:25 pm

Twitter...

Report bugs with the Rainmeter application and suggest features.
jsmorley
Developer

Twitter...

Post by jsmorley »

Aren't we going to jump on the bandwagon and do a "Twitter" plugin?

http://apiwiki.twitter.com/
sgtevmckay

Re: Twitter...

Post by sgtevmckay »

Ok :D

I do not wish to sound like an A$$-O here, but:
Go ahead; No one s holding your hand :lol:

I actually do not Twitter myself :oops:

But I do see a need for such an option.
We will need for someone to code it.

I also presume you would be looking for functionality beyond just an RSS Feed!?!!

Since I have very little concept of Twitter; what do we need this plugin to do?
jsmorley
Developer

Post by jsmorley »

sgtevmckay wrote:Ok :D

I do not wish to sound like an A$$-O here, but:
Go ahead; No one s holding your hand :lol:

I actually do not Twitter myself :oops:

But I do see a need for such an option.
We will need for someone to code it.

I also presume you would be looking for functionality beyond just an RSS Feed!?!!

Since I have very little concept of Twitter; what do we need this plugin to do?
I don't use it either... I was just seeing all the hype and how unreal popular the stupid application is, and thought it would be a great way to get some PR for Rainmeter. Lifehacker would wet themselves posting about it if we had a Twitter plugin..

It should display your "tweets" of course, that should be a pretty easy webparse, that wouldn't even require a plugin. And it could start there as a beginning... However, to be useful it would need to be able to have you create "tweets" and send them (need a 140 character text field and a way to capture the input and send it to a web API) and probably a "search" function that would return text that you display. All this can be done through calls to their API's based on what I read.

I am no .dll programmer... I write in PHP and MySQL and .NET and such and haven't used C++ since it was still just called C+ ;-)
dragonmage
Developer

Post by dragonmage »

I don't know if we are ready for the traffic, that is going to bring. It is a good idea though.

In the absence of enough developers to code plugins for all these ideas, we may want to consider recruiting people to develop helper apps. Many useful helper apps can be created with AutoHotkey.
Kubrickx

Post by Kubrickx »

How about something along the lines like TwitterFox. It's an addon for Firefox that sits in the right hand corner of the browser. When you get a tweet a little box opens with said message then closes. You can click on the icon and it opens up a small window where you can type your message/reply. Just an idea to help things rolling. :)
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

@dragonmage

I am unconcerned about the influx on users, actually at this point I would welcome it.

We have grown, and although I am no twitter user, I know from others that are Doing "tweets" about Rainmeter. From Lifehacker to the average individual. I can also verify that there have been tweets floating CNet, and PCMag.

I say build, and let the word out. 8-)
penelope_b

Post by penelope_b »

I use GCalDaemon to convert my twitter .rss feed on the fly to rainlendar and it works great. I'm sure it would work for any RSS feed that Rainmeter can support.
sgtevmckay

Post by sgtevmckay »

@ penelope_b

Could you please give us more information? :D
limpet

Post by limpet »

When a user logs into their Twitter profile their is a link to their personal RSS feed for status updates of all their followers. Since I'm not a big user of Twitter and don't really know how to work RegExp I can't help out too much with that.
Also, you have to log into the Twitter API with your same username/pass used to log into the site.

Maybe that helps someone out.
Limpet makes music: [Soundcloud][Reverbnation][Myspace (ick)][Uvumi][Electronic/Dance]
Rykennedyan

Post by Rykennedyan »

I've been able to do a lot with Twitter already. The only thing I think Rainmeter needs is the ability to enter text directly, and be able to submit it. That way a Twitter Rainmeter solution would be comprehensive.